1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shorted wires, truck won't start

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by nabraham, May 20, 2002.

1. nabraham

nabraham Junior Member

While changing the water pump on my 86 GMC Sierra 1500, I accidentally squeezed the wires in back of the alternator against a metal part, while tightening the adjusting bolt to the alternator,
    which in turn caused a short. Now my truck won't start but lights go on. Any suggestions as to what I should do? I'm a novice at this, and yes, I know I should've removed the battery cable before anything. Please help!!!

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

You cooked the fusable link. It is there to protect the wires from such a short. Most auto parts stores sell them, less than $10.

It is located on the firewall, behind the air cleaner. It is a short section of wire with a braided covering, usually red. It may be inside the plastic cover near the junction block on the fire wall by the wiper motor. trace the alternator wire and you will find it.

~Chuck

3. nabraham

nabraham Junior Member

Thanks for replying Chuck!
    I noticed that the alternator has two sets of wires, 1 screwed to the back and two wires incased in a plactic holder clip, both attached to the alternator in separate areas. The two wires in the plastic case looked as you put it, "cooked!!" Do I change the wire that is screwed to the alternator as well?

Right by the steering column attached to the firewall, is a box where all the wires meet. That box might be "cooked" too or just grease on the connections since there is no cover. Not sure if I'm getting way over my head on this one. Before my water pump failed, the truck ran cherry!!!!! After squeezing the wires in back of the alternator while tightening the bolts, I believe I created a greater problem.

I know I can fix it with the proper guidance, taking all suggetions none to big or to small!!!!

4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

If the wires are "cooked" insulation missing actual wire showing where it souldnt. I'd deffinatly change em.

Also, I know you said you squeezed the wires against a metal part. But did you really just squeeze them? or bend the connector into something? If you bent the connector thats one thing.
    You sould not be able to just "squeeze" the wires & cause a short.
    Make sure you check the wire & make sure all the insulation is in tact. If not replace them before it causes a bigger problem like getting stuck in a blizzard at 3am or worse a fire. I bet you wouldnt wait untill your breaks stoped working before ya replaced them....

5. nabraham

nabraham Junior Member

Thanks "Got Grass" for your reply.

Bending the connector sounds more like what happened when I tightened the alternator screw. Tracing wires and checking to see which ones are good/bad and to what they are connected to, will be a project in itself. I will pick up a shop manual today after work, & tackle this "wiring nightmare" this weekend.

THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLIED TO MY THREAD! AWESOME WEB SITE, THE BEST I'VE SEEN IN YEARS!!!! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK GUYS!!!!

ALOHA FROM HAWAII,
    Naomi

6. nabraham

nabraham Junior Member

Hey Chuck,

I would like to report that "Punahele" (poo-na-he-le means
    adorned one in Hawaiian) is back in commission thanks to your pointing out that it was the "fusible link" that was cooked. The part cost me just a couple bucks!!!!!

I am going to restore her and will submit pictures.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!!

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Glad we could help you Naomi. That's what this forum is all about :) Most on this site know me for my plowing site. You might also find some useful information on my other website....
    http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com

~Chuck