1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shortbeds with poly spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bigmac1276, Nov 11, 2010.

1. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

I just bought a blizzard ice chaser and did not want to bolt the damn thing to the truck, so I would like to see how other people are mounting these big spreaders in their shortbeds. I have the 1.5 and they say it fits in a 2004 ram 2500 shortbed but man thats big.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Why do you need bolts? Can you get the back of the spinner deflector up to the bumper?
  3. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

Installation instructions want you to bolt the spreader to the bed of the truck. I know alot of guys just strap it in, but with the short bed, it takes the whole bed. I would like to see how they have it strapped in.
  4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

4 big straps and some eye bolts or equivalent through the bed and attached to the frame would be the right way to do it. Mine sits on a flatbed, and I strap it directly to the frame. If you hook up cleats or something heavy with some stainless bolts, you will probably find that they are useful for plenty of other uses during the offseason.

When I had the original bed on, I strapped the front to my headache rack and strapped the back to the cutout holes in the top of the bed rail. I would not do that to a nice truck. It definitely bends the bed to do it that way.
  5. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Talk to "fisher guy" on here, he has a gen 1 ice chaser.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I ran a Gen 1 PolyCaster in a 97K200 long bed. Kept my crossover toolbox in the front of the bed. I drilled up through the front "crossmember" of the bed. Installed a marine style galvanized 1/2 inch eyebolt. Ran straps from the rear tie downs on the spreader to the eyebolts, straps from the front tie downs to the rear bumper. Worked great. The eyelets are handy year round, too.

I also built the spacer block to go between the spreader and the front of the bed. Highly recommend the block. I didn't have it when I hit the tree, stove the toolbox up pretty badly.
  7. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

But that is exactly what I am talking about. I don't have room to build the box in front of the spreader. If I do that the damn spreader will be hanging half way out of the truck. I was thinking of just using straps in the handles molded in the spreader to the corners of the bed( in the front) and in the back using straps in the handles to the bumper mounts.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Look at page 8 for specs to build the box.

You need the 21x8.375 (8 3/8) piece fill the gap between the front of the chain and the front of the spreader. The remaining section you build to fit your truck. You want the spreader as far forward as possible. You may only need a piece of 2x6 just to fill the gap between the base of the spreader and the front of your truck bed.

The handles are fine to put your straps, but you've got your connection points backwards. Go from the front handles to the bumper, rear handles to the front of the bed.

You're trying to keep the spreader from sliding in an impact situation. Don't worry about holding it down, it's not going anywhere with the crisscross straps.
  9. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

Don't bolt it through the bed, I had my tornado 1.5 only strapped last year with 4 ratchet straps to my factory bed tie downs and it was fine. Your supposed to make that spacer thats in the manual too that fits in front of the spreader, It prevents it from coming forward on sudden stops and damaging the chute. I made the spacer a couple weeks ago for my 1.5 but doubt i'll be using it. My new tornado 2.5 is only strapped as well this year in my 09' F-550. If you go in the ford forum under 'V-box in a short bed superduty', you can see how big the 1.5 is in my shortbed 250.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010