1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shortage on bags walkway salt???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Flawless440, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

What is everyone being told??

I have been trying to get a semi for weeks..

Anyone have a line? I'm in Ohio
  2. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

Was told same thing this week. Rail car got held up or something where we go. said it could be a few weeks before they get more. Supply and demand at its best.
  3. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Got a truckload yesterday and paid a premium. EVERYONE is out for a long time. Said municipalities have spoken for everything. Even though I paid out the nose I was glad to get a load.
  4. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

We just got a partial load (9 pallets). Said that might be all for a while
  5. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I had to take 36 pallets. I wasn't worried though because something tells me there will be a lot of people in need by the middle of February. There's no end in sight to the weather pattern we are in.
  6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Slight shortage on bulk salt and a big time shortage of clearlane here.

Bags were doing good on.
  7. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

North of the border there is a waiting time of a week or two as well. Friend of mine started to bag his own as he has a bagging machine for soil and mulches. Did 900 bags in one day with 3 guys.
  8. Flawless440

They still holding? Is there any left?
  9. Flawless440

Is it easier to get bulk sidewalk salt??

About to throwing rock salt on the walks
  10. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I can send you a PM with their contact info if you'd like to check. It's trucked from Michigan so I suppose they might be able to get it down to Columbus.
  11. melt all

melt all Member

We have Bulk Super Sacks available. 1 ton sacks with schute on bottom. Bulk Rock Salt and Blended Salt (-20F).
    Call Joe Kelly for pricing - 610-497-9390.
  12. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

bag white rock salt is limited around here, but you can find treated bag salt

I just put treated bulk salt in my boxes for the sidewalks.
  13. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

There is a definite shortage of ice melting chemicals here, everything from rock salt to mag/calcium chloride, and all mixtures and formulations in between.
  14. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

I would stay away from "melt all" he seems very flaky and unreliable.
  15. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

THe problem is, We're using the product just as fast as its being put into bags and shipped.
  16. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

This, it isn't a problem with material production, its an issue with shipping/transportation. They do not have enough trucks to keep up with hauling the stuff.
  17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

That's great, except we can't get bulk for much longer here... with my skidsteer down and crap weather I can't even stockpile a few tons myself...
  18. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Everybody around here was and is out So I found some down south where hasn't been any snow I bought 5 pallets pretty cheap A friend said he could haul it back since he didn't have anything haul back Only have 2 pallets left and my wholesale guy is still out about time get on the phone look for some more
  19. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

The problem isn't in the trucking it's the fact that the mills aren't bagging. They're unloading it all to municipalities amd larger outfits that have enormous preseason orders. I currently have 35 pallets. If someone is close to IN/MI border I could hook you up with 5 pallets if needed.
  20. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

Same thing here in new york. I got lucky today because i went to get salt and he told me they're running out so i figured id buy plenty to get through, as i'm loading up someone called and bought the rest of what they had. they wont get another truck load for at least a week.