1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Short wheelbase Dodges are hard to find

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by lawn and stump, Jan 11, 2008.

1. lawn and stump

lawn and stump Junior Member

I was thinking about replacing my 96 1500 with a 7.5 meyers.
    I went to the dealer and he said that the new 1500's don't come with a plow prep pkg or come in green to match my other Dodge
    and everything on his lot is a extenda cab.

I need short for my high end driveways and I think I want a Snowway plow.
    I even looked at used but most are long wheelbase

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

1500's never came with plow prep packages. Why cant they get you a reg. cab short box? I am sure the dealers around me have them right now. It isnt a common truck so maybe they just dont stock them. Do a dealer locate on one.

If I were you I would go get a Chev 1500. The only advantage dodge had in the 1500 catagory was the solid front axle but they did away with that a few years ago. Chev will be a far superiour truck for what you are going to use it for.

3. lawn and stump

I think my 96 and 99 1500s had plow prep
    Or at least towing pkg

4. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Dodge no longer builds a standard cab short box
    you got 5 choices
    1 standard cab long bed
    2 crew cab short bed
    3 crew cab long bed
    4 mega cab short bed
    5 mega cab long bed

Tow packge on 1500 only plow prep on 2500 and 3500 includes tow

the only US maker is GMC/Chevy avalach standard cab short bed 4x

that is unless you want to get a SRT 10 and have a 4x conversion done to it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  5. NBI Lawn

6. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

7. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

It looks like you can build a 4x4, 6.5' bed, 1500 Dodge on the Dodge website? Not saying that it could be built/ordered because I have come across inaccuracies on the Dodge site before but it appears to be available?

8. NBI Lawn

You said they didnt offer it so I was just showing that they do.

Here ya go smarty pants:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...8&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=412

Oh and a Ford:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...0&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=941

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...5&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=536

BTW Dodge doesnt offer a "Crew Cab". Only the Quad cab or a Mega Cab. I believe Dodge stopped making the SRT-10 in 2006, could be wrong though. Also, since when is the Avalanche a standard cab or a 6.5 foot bed?

You must really know your stuff

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  9. TEX

TEX Senior Member

not sure i believe that about the reg cab swb

10. NBI Lawn

Believe what?

11. NBI Lawn

That would be sweet though

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  12. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

Stop the fighting. lol. You can have any dealer order any kind of truck u want, down to the specific accessories. Lead time is like 1-3 months tho i think. :dizzy:

13. NBI Lawn

Sorry :eek:, I just dont like it when people start posting when they have no idea what they are talking about :gunsfiring:. IMO it makes the site less credible. If ya dont know dont post, or atleast say " I think" or "I believe" etc...

Just my .02 :)

edit: Just noticed this too:

"5 mega cab long bed"

LOL, not an option

14. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

they don't offer it in 4x4 Just ask the first poster of this tread...

I can be pretty sure i am more up to date on dodge truck then you are....

both fords posted are extra cabs

03 dodge 4 door trucks were crew cabs and the suicide 4 doors were quad cabs, since then dodge stoped making the suicide 4 doors the crew cab was dropped for quad cab when the mega cab cam out.

Gm is the only maker of a short bed standard cab 4x4 they all look the same to me, so it may not be...

Here so you don't have to go back up to the top of the page

15. NBI Lawn

1) Yes they do, please refer to the link I posted to the 08' Reg Cab short box 4x4 http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...8&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=412
    2) Highly doubt it, you should know this stuff then.
    3) No, those are regular cab Fords, there isnt anything behind the seat is there,no? Ford calls it a regular cab http://www55.forddirect.fordvehicle...les|fordvehicles&referrer=http://www.ford.com go to build my own
    4) Dodge has always called them quad cabs since they started offering 4-doors in 1998. When they changed the body style in 2003 they went to the more conventional door but still call it a "quad cab", 2002 was the last year of the "suicide" style door. They didnt drop anything in 2006 when the "mega cab" came out.
    - where does it say "crew cab" on here http://www-5.dodge.com/vehsuite/ModelSelector.jsp also, the window sticker for my 06' says Quad Cab right on it as did the sticker from my 99'.
    5) Not true, and you think an Avalanche looks like a reg. cab short box truck?
    6) I can read, He said "everything on the lot was extended cab" (quad cab)

I've never seen someone so wrong think they are so right.

Just taken you to school, lol.

16. lawn and stump

My Dealer can order a short wheelbase 1500, but not with Plow prep anymore.
    That would give me a bigger alternator and battery which I think are very necessity.

They don't make Green anymore.

I might look into a Chevy

17. NBI Lawn

Are you sure they offered the plow prep on a half ton at any time?

Chev might be a better option for the half ton. Why dont you look at the 3/4 ton? Bigger brakes, GVW, Cooling, and the plow prep

18. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

96 1500 short bed 4x4 with plow prep
    [​IMG]

19. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

This statement is incorrect.

As mentioned Dodge the 03+ Dodge has always considered these trucks quad cabs not crew cabs.

20. NBI Lawn

Hey thanks for clearing that up :salute:. I had no idea they ever did that. If I were looking at a 1/2 ton how would I know it has the plow prep ?