1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

short survey

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by ramsport1500, Dec 22, 2007.

1. ramsport1500

ramsport1500 Member

A short survey about ballast
    What do you use if any ballast in your truck for offsetting the plow?
    Thanks for taking the time to answer this survey
    Send answers to
    or just post them here
    Hope all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

I just use some bags of household (water system) salt pellets. Each bag is 40 lbs and I have 10 in the back. When I bring some in the house, I'll replace them a couple at a time...seems ok so far...no problemos...may get a few bags of sand too...got stuck (very minor) but if my brother hadn't been around with a bucket of sand in his truck I would have been in trouble for a while anyway...rear wheels were on ice and the plow was hung on a snowbank on it's highest position...couldn't go back or forward...just dug around the plow with a shovel to give it some room and all was well...
  3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

cement blocks framed with 2x6's and held together with threaded rod.theres a pic somewhere of it in a old thread of mine.
  4. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

980 lbs of tube sand on the bed of my rack body. I built a wood crib out of 2x10's and 2x4's and covered it with plywood to secure them. The weight is at the end of the bed.

I used to drop a load of road sand in the bed of my old rack body. However, the new method is much better as it is cleaner and puts the weight where it belongs.