1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Short story... (well, actually kind of long)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SlimJim Z71, Dec 31, 2000.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Was driving out to one of my co-workers house's to plow his driveway, and noticed a few cars stuck on the side of the road. So, I turned around, hit the lights, and asked if they wanted me to pull them out. Turns out, the one guy got stuck, and the other one (an off-duty cop) stopped to help and got stuck himself. As I was hooking up the tow strap to the first guy, a lady in an S-10 Blazer lost control of her truck (probably paying too much attention to what I was doing) and spun it around. She was probably going about 50-mph. I'm VERY surprised that she didn't roll it.

I had to pull the first car about 200-feet before it came out of the ditch (which was about 3-feet deep). He paid me and went on his way. Then, I went to pull the cop out, only he had left his grand am in drive when he got out, so once he closed the door, the doors locked. This poor guy...

Anyway, he called his brother (who for some reason happened to have a slim-jim), to get into his car. So I let him wait in my truck with me. I would not have done this normally, but I figured since he was a cop, he wasn't going to kill me. His brother showed up, got into the car, and I proceeded to pull him out. Had to drag him for about 400-feet before it came out. He gave me $20, which I really did not want to take from him, given the day he'd had. But he paid me anyway, and left.

Interesting afternoon.

-Tim

2. Dusty

Dusty Member

Favors like that don't go unnoticed. He will remember you next time you meet. Just hope that it is in a restuarant or donut shop, rather than on the highway.

3. SlimJim Z71

Actually, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I did see him again on the road. Maybe he would return the favor?

-Tim

4. Psyclopse

Psyclopse Member

One question though-

Did you have that "favorite bumper sticker" on the truck? I don't know hop an officer would take that!

5. SlimJim Z71

No, I don't have that bumper sticker. A friend of mine sent me an e-mail with about 50 funny bumper sticker sayings on it. That particular one caught my attention... especially cause people just love to honk at a plow truck backing up rather than moving out of the way.

-Tim

6. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

I usually back up as fast as i can after they beep at me and scare the living hell out of them,(no im areally good driver,good driver,good driver wapner,k-mart good driver)...

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

Slim Jim Tim

I saw a Z71 with a silver colored plow and a salt spreader on it yesterday up by Best Buy in Springhill. Guess who I thought of when I saw that. It wasn't you was it?

8. SlimJim Z71

Nope... wasn't me. I didn't get out too much yesterday. After not being able to do much lately, I barely have enough energy to get out of Crystal Lake. I'd better get some energy back though... I have to go dig out Motorwerks today before they re-open tomorrow.

-Tim