1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Short Somewhere ???????

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by caddytruck89, Nov 22, 2008.

1. caddytruck89

caddytruck89 Senior Member

Just installed my hideaways last week. Worked fine for a week, now i have to un plug my drivers rear tail light to make them work. If i unplug the strobe at the tail light nothing happens the LED indicator still shows a short. If i unplug the cable at the power supply it will allow the other 3 to work. Does this mean the problem is in the cable????

2. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

It looks like you need to chase the wire in question and see if it got snagged by somthing or mabye pinched somwhere.

3. caddytruck89

But you will agree that it is the wire though????

4. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

i you have to knlw for sure, take the bulb from that wire and plug it directly to the power supply where you woud normally have the bad wire. if it works then yes i would say for sure it is the wire.

5. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

If removing the tube doesn't remove the short but disconnecting the wire does, I'd have to say it's the cable. If you have a multi-meter, try ringing out the wires between each other and also to ground. I also agree to try plugging the tube right into the power supply.

6. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Sounds like you have water or salt in the back of the connector on the cable, at the taillight. Did you seal the back of your connectors with silicone?

7. caddytruck89

No i didn't seal them with silicone, but i did use a liberal amount of di electric grease. I will go out and inspect the cable and socket further today.

8. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

If you dont get them working let me know,

Ill give you a hand trobleshooting it. I'll be in madison this week, we can meet up and ill look at them for you.

9. caddytruck89

I appreciate that. I'll keep you posted.

10. caddytruck89

I think i solved the problem. Replaced the cable going to the rear taillight,and applied more grease to the connections. Working for now. Only time will tell....