1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Short Iron Fab-16 Foot Back blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hansenslawncare, Nov 23, 2013.

1. hansenslawncare

hansenslawncare Senior Member

Previously called Sno Kontrol, http://shortironfab.com/ is one of the companies making a 16 foot pull plow.

My questions are for those using pull plows, on residentials and small commercials ( gas stations, etc.) how much time has this saved you ??? (in percentages please, driveway sizes differ so percentages allow me to calculate it compared to my drives.)

Also, does anybody have an opinion on the Short Iron fabs versus the Ebling?

Short Iron told me their plows are self contained whereas Ebling has a lot more exposed to the elements. Also, Short Iron's plows are built stronger than Eblings and theirs also react/respond quicker than Eblings.

Any input out there? I'm going to pull the trigger quickly on one of these two.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  2. hansenslawncare

I know there's threads out there on the Eblings, but I was hoping for more of a comparison between the two and maybe some feedback from those who have a black blade.

Any takers???

3. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Plow looks similar to an Ebling. Advertised as being built in Michigan so most likely a copy of some sort. From the pictures provided looks like it was built in someone's pole barn, not necessarily all bad. I would be concerned about replacement parts and support. FYI, I Googled "Short Iron Fab" and nothing showed up. Makes me wonder. We use several Ebling 16' pull plows and have had few issues. They are solid. They have their place and where we do use them they are twice as efficient (if not more) than our 8' pull plows.

4. hansenslawncare

Yeah there isn't a lot to be found about them other than facebook, website and some youtube videos.

Short Iron Fab comes completely assembled where as Ebling, unless I'm incorrect, does not.

I talked to the owner at Short Iron Fab, Jason, which is easy to get a hold of him, ask questions, etc.

5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

It's not all that much to putting one together. I'm almost sure that Jim would ship you one assembled if that's what it took,

Like Herm said, parts and support availability. Answering the phone doesn't mean you have a pile of parts behind you.

There's something to be said about having many of these things out there working, seeing and fixing the problems, building in weak points to prevent major failure, that type of thing.

6. hansenslawncare

Very good point there sir.

7. shortiron

shortiron Junior Member

Everyone has to start somewhere, as for parts I have them in stock, and nothing against ebling they make a good blade, but I found room for improvement. If anyone have any questions or would like to see one give me a call. Thanks Jason

8. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

What's the pricing? Do they come with a new receiver hitch also?

9. shortiron

shortiron Junior Member

$6300 plus shipping and they come with a new hitch.

10. hansenslawncare

What specifically did you improve upon? How far out are you on your 16'?

11. shortiron

shortiron Junior Member

All enclosed hydraulic system with battery, reinforced wings, and increased wing speed. I'll have 3 back from powder coat end of next week then they will be ready to ship.

12. hansenslawncare

Sent you a PM.

13. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Can you post pictures please

14. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Hell, 3 yrs ago I said that open hydraulic system on the Eblings wasn't a good design...got my head bit off by the loyal owners. I don't understand why it wouldn't be enclosed.

Question for Shortiron: Why do the wings have to taper at the ends? Seems like a lot off snow is pushed up and over at those points.

15. shortiron

shortiron Junior Member

I do square wings also, I like the tapered look and some guys like square. It's up to the customer. As for my pump box I also include a battery with all my plows so I needed to put it in something.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  16. shortiron

shortiron Junior Member

Like I said I have nothing against ebling, I'm just trying to make a quality blade and a name for myself. There is plenty of market for these blades so to me its no different than a boss and a western.

17. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Here's the real deal....

Ebling's or any type of wide pull plows will only work for 50% of the time.

Where I'm going is this. With most 2" snows, this type of plow works. The truck pulling the plow will be able to handle it.

Once the snow gets heavy, or there is is "big" snow fall with dry snow, then this design in plows is hard on trucks.

I have no personal experience, honestly in using them, but trucks are lacking in durability when it comes to using a plow that sized.

So...........

Do you want to spent 15k on a piece of old machinery that can handle 10 times the load on it, or spend 5k in repairs on a truck that can barely handle the load.......

It's a numbers game..

18. shortiron

shortiron Junior Member

The only time its not good to use these plow is if you have a foot of wet snow. I've been out all day plowing 6 tp 10 inches of lake effect snow with no problem. It's just like anything you have to know the limitations of your equipment and how to use it efficiently.

19. shortiron

shortiron Junior Member

I'm not sure how to do that from my phone. There are plenty of pictures on my web site and Facebook.

20. shortiron

shortiron Junior Member

I have nothing in my inbox, give me a call tomorrow if that will work better, thanks.