1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Short chaining" or propping up a failed Boss. How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 66 BADBOY, Feb 29, 2008.

1. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

Hey guys,

If you have read a few of my other posts, you've seen that I am almost certain I will be going with a Boss plow when I get my next truck (2005-2006 F-250 5.4). Made up my mind that if I go with a Boss, it will be the 8' Super Duty.

I know that if you have pump failure on an old Meyer (like the one I have), if you can lift the plow somehow, you can short chain it to get the truck back home, and then get the plow off. But how do you do that with a new Boss? How do you "short chain" it or prop it up? And if you can do that part, how do you remove it from the truck if the hydraulics are failed? That is what is scaring me with all of these new hydraulic mount plows.

Thanks again
  2. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

you have to pop out the lift cylinder pin and use like a ratchet strap to get the plow up. The boss V's are too heavy to run up into a snow bank, not sure about straight blades.
  3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

boss make's a real nice emergency lift strap kit #msc04698 .
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You use a nylon style ratchet strap and simply tie it up to the light tower cross bar (not the light bar!).

You'd first run it up onto a snowbank just like any other plow and then strap it up.

If you need to manually remove the plow from the truck you simply flip the lock pins to the "off" position just like you normally would to remove it with the Smart Hitch, and then manually push up slightly on the tower (to remove the weight from the pins). You can then easily pull the light tower down, detaching it from the truck.

Don't be afraid of a cylinder lift style plow...

Because it's a common misconception that you can't "short chain" them (Boss).
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  5. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

See, that is what I like about this site. Good info from guys that have been there.

All I've been hearing is that the newer style hydraulic mounts is that they will leave you hanging somewhere if they go bad. Good to hear that is not the case, because I am pretty much sold on a Boss.

Thanks guys!!
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just gotta know who to listen to 66..:)

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Even it has not happend yet (Knock on wood) all the answer from above are right.
    B&B will never steer you wrong either BTW:waving:
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not intentionally at least.. :) :salute:
  9. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

Hey, that's a good thing. Didn't find the same thing in the Blizzard forum. Started a thread asking about Blizzard plows and Boss Plows pros/cons. Sheesh......one guy in particular over there, wow.......

Thanks again guys for the info!!
  10. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Yea some guys over there have to be nasty to everyone because there plows suck!