1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Short bed speader advice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by timsjeep, Nov 21, 2009.

1. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

I am thinking about adding a sander to my fleet but want to use it on a short bed truck. I have a 2000 F250 xtra cab short bed. It will have a western 7.5 and I am considering a western Tornado for the short bed. How many of you have this type of set up and how much material can you carry? I am thinking about putting airbags or extra leafs in the back just to help with the sway. Anyone use a larger vbox on short bed with the tailgate down? Any feedback would be great. Tim

2. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

you don't want to run a full size in a short bed, it'll put too much weight behind the wheels and on the tailgate leading to failure.

I run a shortbed salter in my 8' bed so I have room for toolbox or a toro blower. I have a SS Ice-o-Way. Great unit with a remove-able/swing chute. I put it up in between stops and when I'm not using it to reduce chance of crushing it in a snowbank or getting rear-ended and not having a spreader. I carry 1.5yds (1.1 yd cap level) and run airbags too since I leave my spreader full or partially full virtually all winter.
    [​IMG]

3. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

That is a good idea for an 8' bed. I am using the shorter truck for small lots and tight loading docks. I need the shorter turning radius but still need to carry a good amount of material. If I had a reg cab 8' that is the truck I would use, but this is the only spare truck I have.

4. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

First, do not attempt to run an 8' spreader in a shortbed, very bad recipe for disaster. Second, why a 7.5' blade? Even with the shorter wheelbase you'll be running over your windrows on turns. As far as shortbox spreaders, I've just exhausted myself doing a ton of research on them since I was thinking of running one, but opted to use the lb truck with an 8'. You'll only be able to run 1.5 yards at the most depending upon what you get. Best of luck.

5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

My 2yard salt dogg works great in a short bed Dodge. With bags she handles the weight very well with the 810 out front.

6. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

Could you post a picture of this set up. I would like to see the overhang. This is one of the spreaders I am thinking about.

As for plow, I run 7.5 westerns with prowings and it works out great. However, I am considering a Wideout or Blizzard for this truck. I just wonder if the extra moving parts is a bad combo for reliability.

Thanks, Tim

7. T-MAN

8. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

That is a great fit. I thought it would stick out and hang over more. I really like the look of that spreader. I think that is the path I will take.

Do the airbags help with sway when you go around corners and bumps?

9. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

T-man which Kore Springs are you running up front??? I too have an 05 Ram Cummins and just bought the 2yd Salt Dogg, I have Air lift bags in the rear. I will be putting the spreader in next weekend.

Also did you build the wood frame for the front of the bed in front of the spreader....if so what were the demensions? Thanks

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You definitely want a spreader to fit your truck. I run a "shortbed" first gen PolyCaster in my long bed truck with a toolbox. After much research and discussion here, I have decided to pull the toolbox this season. This will allow me to move the sander forward about 10 inches. It will help with maneuverability, and I need all the help I can get with an ECLB. And it will also take some stress off the frame. The GMs cracking at the UCA bracket is pretty well known of, but they can also crack right behind the cab. The further "out" the weight is on the ends, the more it arches the frame. This amplifies the stress on the frame. 900 lb XV on the front and a rear loaded spreader hanging out the back is a recipe for disaster.

T-Man's salt dogg is impressive. That is the first 2 yd shortbed spreader I have seen. Obviously, it's taller and wider.

11. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

I am very impressed with how well it appears to fit the truck. I am very excited about this actually working well for me.

What wood frame are you guys talking about?

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You need something to fill the gap between the front of the spreader, and the headboard. So if you have to do a panic stop the spreader wont slide. This is important for two reasons. Keeps from ripping the spinner off, and the spreader from having enough momentum to get into the back seat.

13. dmontgomery

exactly...........

14. T-MAN

Yes they do, but they do have a bit of a spongy feel to them. Not a tight "race car" feeling by any means. I am not a hot rodder with full load thats for sure. Once you get about 500#s off the truck it certainly feels better.

I run the Kore HD's, they dont make them anymore. My buddy in In. has the variable rate springs in his Dodge cummins truck with an 810 he likes them alot. The variables are standard with the Kore leveling kit now. Supposed to keep a better factory ride with the plow off as well.
    I have a 2x6" treated frame my spreader and pre-wet tank sits on now. The 2 yard unit is a couple inches to long for the bed. I used a sheet of 3/4" cdx for 2 years before I built the platform out of treated. The frame goes from front of bed to back of the notch on the last foot of the spreader. It keeps the unit from sliding forward, as did the plywood.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  15. dmontgomery

is there any chance of getting a pic of that frame...

16. T-MAN

If my back feels better ( threw it out friday) I will get some tommorow. Was planning to mount the spreader.

17. dmontgomery

thanks, I am interested in the pre-wetting system as well......thanks again

18. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

I am interested in that as well.

19. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Mines a 2 yard shortbed box.
    [​IMG]

20. 2COR517