1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

short bed reg cab question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowcrazy, Jan 2, 2013.

1. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

hello all, I have picked up quite a bit of work this year and a lot of the work is small lots such as banks, etc. Anyways, most of our snows in this part of southern Ohio aren't very deep. lucky we get a 4-5" snow once per season. anyways, my 4 door chevy is a bear to maneuver around these little places and with the extra work Ive picked up Im looking into something small for these spots. I was thinking 4 wheel drive s-10, maybe a Dakota, Jeep possibly but want a bed.

Anyways, I got to thinking, those Chevrolet short bed regular cab 4x4 trucks would be a little heavy duty but still compact.

Bad Idea? Good Idea? I know there are lots of folks on here that simply don't want think half tons should have plows on them but anything larger is hard to get around these little lots...... Here is a picture of what I have in mind.. Whatcha think????

3Ed3K33Mb5G85E25M1ccu55119baf29a61eb8.jpg

2. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

that is exactly what im looking for. i will be setting up a truck like this for next year for a small driveway route. small enough to get into most small buildings. 7.6 blade would be perfect. i will be adding a set of wings to the plow for some lots for wind rowing if needed.

im on the lookout for the same set up as your self. id say get to it!

who ever owns that truck has a very good looking truck!

3. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Yeah that truck is bad ass looking for sure. Its on craigslist right now in Zanesville ohio... Ive tried to contact them but not getting a reply. there wanting 6900 for the truck and it has a brand new snowdogg 7.5 medium duty and brand new spreader. I hate to spend that much money on a dedicated snow truck but that truck is so nice id prolly make it my run around truck also when I need to just go somewhere. Here another pic

3E73L13p65I55G15Kfccu9e64ef7dd2191a5c.jpg

4. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

You need to pick equipment that works for you. With that being said, years ago Broncos and blazers were popular vehicles to hang a plow on. I'd say go for it.

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd run it. 7.6 with wings on the front and a back blade and go.

I ran a 98 Chevy k1500 commercially for 4 seasons. 7.6' unimount with wings (9.8ft wide), snow ex 575 and it was a good setup. For a 1/2ton it did very well. I sold it with almost 200k on it and the worst part about it was the rust.

6. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

There is a guy in my town who runs a nnbs Chevy 1/2 ton reg cab shorty and hangs a 7.5 ultra with pro wings on it. Not sure what his main clientele is because I've never seen him working however I'd imagine its tight commercial/resi and if he would put a back blade on it like mark suggests the truck would really reach its full potential.

7. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

i had plans for a scsb with the back blade for the small city routes. since there isnt much salting done around here on residential properties i would throw a blower or 2 in the back for the side walk guys to help me out with.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Vee with wings on that truck...,.

9. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Wouldn't that overload the front suspension / frame on that truck ? Seems like too much weight to be holding on the front end of a 1/2 ton truck, and you'd have nothing but parts breaking all the time.

BTW,

There's a dude on here that has a full size chevy blazer with 1 ton axles under it. Seems to be the perfect plow vehicle for what you describe.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  10. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Well with the blazer it would have no bed but yeah I know those things make good plow vehicles.

As for the overload on front suspension/frame, that's kinda why I asked about this application but I wont be pushing big lots or anything with this truck. The particular truck in the picture above has beefed up front suspension and air bags in the rear for if you did want to put a little bit of salt in the bed..........

11. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Tonto say.....

Regular plow good and little or no issue....

OTOH

VEE plow Heavy and cause wampum dambage to suspension, bearings, axles and frame.

NO ?

12. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

I have been plowing with a 1/2 ton truck with a 7'6" Western pro plow for years. It works great on the tight spots that I plow. The only problem I had was the chevys with the torsion bars had a hard time carrying the weight and trashed the torsion bar bushings. I just changed trucks to a 2000 dodge ram reg cab short box and it takes the weight of the Unimount pro plow very easily.

13. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

Depends on the plow. There are some Vees out there light enough to hang from a half ton.

Like the Meyer super V or Snowdogg VMD

14. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Grab a 2001-back Ram 1500 reg, short box and have a plowing machine. It'll carry a plow far better than the half ton IFS can or will. Not to mention a lack of cracked frames.

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Good call. 7.6' V with wings would be killer.

With upgraded torsion bars and better leaf springs/airbags that truck shouldn't mind the weight.
    My old truck had 1 ton torsion bars and 3/4 or 1 ton leaf packs. For a 1/2ton it didn't move much with weight added.
    With a SnowEx 575, 1,000-1,500lbs of salt, an 800lb toolbox in the bed, and a 7.6' unimount pro with wings it still sat the same height as my friends stock 98 K1500. His truck would sag with 800lbs in the bed and you could definitely feel it in the steering as well.

I'm not saying it's legal to have a half ton pickup weighing 8500lbs but I did it often and with the right setup it's really not as scary as you would think. As I daily drove it even without all the snow and ice equipment it was 62-6300lbs, I was over gvwr "unloaded" and it drove/handled/looked fine.

16. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

That doesn't make the brakes or bearings adequate for that much weight. Then you get into the liability of being overloaded. When you get into a fender bender or maim a person, your insurance company is going to laugh you off since you failed to operate your truck in a safe manner.

That will be their cop-out.

17. daman

daman Member

Should work fine i had the same set up years ago,i wouldn't hang allot of weight on a 1500 they don't like it but for clean up small lots it'll work great,pull the trigger.

18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Should I mention I only had functional front brakes as well for the 55k miles I put on the truck? The self adjusters on the rear drums were froze up.

I said in my post above that I'm not saying it's ok or that it's legal. I was just stating that it's possible if he would like to take the risk and that if done in the right manner the truck will do just fine. It just seems that guys running a 1/2ton 500lbs overloaded get a ton of grief and criticism and then everyone else goes out and gets in their 12,000lb 3/4ton pickup with a loaded v box and 950lb blade on the front and doesn't think anything of it. Neither person is right, but we'll all continue to do it. It's the nature of the game.

19. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I run a 1999 Ford F150 Short Bed to do driveways and it does a great job. When I purchased the plow for it I looked for the lightest full feature plow I could find as front end weight can be a problem. I purchased a Snoway 26 series with down pressure.

20. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Snow Dogg does make a Vplow for 1/2ton trucks. I considered one for the F-150 we have, but went with a strait blade for all the tight residentials we do.