1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

short bed plowing

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Bowtytek, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Bowtytek

Bowtytek Member
    from Maine

was wondering what the chances are to find a small v plow for a reg cab short bed truck. looking to upgrade next summer and this is the setup that would be the best for me. do plan on at least timbrens in front and add a leaves in the rear as i haul in the summer. i already know that the short bed will haul less, i am ok with that. the truck would be either chevy or dodge (prefer dodge) with the bigger small block. also plan on a locker in the rear. thanks for the help and advise.

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i know chevy makes a ton of those shortys. ford always only put 4wheel drive in there longer wheel base models. but ur probably looking at a 1500 like that which is a half ton which means u be limited to what size blade will go up front and ull probably have to carry a bunch of ballast

3. hawk29

hawk29 Junior Member
    from Sw ohio

i plow with a 98 K1500 reg cab short bed/stepside. The truck pushes great i have a 7.5 plow and never adjusted the IFS. I keep 400-500 lbs in back and most of the time just in 2wd. The advantage of the small size is turning radius, over all length and visibility. I was unsure of the setpside but price was right and with the stepside as you can see a heck of alot more than with the straight side (my other truck is straight side ex cab). Also the step side is great for reaching into out of the bed alot better than i ever imagened.

4. NootDogg

NootDogg Senior Member
    from WI

I know that western makes a 7'5" v-blade. A 1/2 ton should handle that fine. We run a few 1/2 tons with 8' westerns on them. The '07 GMC 1500 need load boosters and a little bit of a lift in the front end. But otherwise it handles it fine.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Western, and fisher make small v plows.

6. TEX

TEX Senior Member

well if its a reg cab short bed its a 1/2 ton and if you not going to be doing a lot of plowing. get a 7 1/2' V and a big of weight in the bed ans should be ok

7. Bowtytek

Bowtytek Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the quick responses. I have also continued researching this. The trucks I use are a 01 dodge shorty and a 99 new style chevy shorty. I have found western offers a v plow for shorty chevys but not dodge, which is ok but still prefer dodge. as long as i dont have to settle for a ford. I would find other options. I looked into fisher with a dodge and it looks like the truck side is the same for 1500 and the 2500. then I just get a v instead of a straight. I understand about the ballast and am currently plowing with a 93 dodge w150 reg cab long bed with a conventional 7 1/2 diamond. didn't use ballast last year and worked ok and this year no ballast on new to me studded off road tires and worked ok the first storm. Just looking for the best of both worlds for the next truck and the misses says next year should be the year, so I am starting to plan and pick now. I will keep researching and continue appreciating the replies to find stuff I may be missing. Thanks again.

PS sorry so long...figured it might help to see what i am coming from