1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shopping Malls

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by sectlandscaping, Mar 13, 2012.

1. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

I been contacted to bid snow removal and landscaping for a few shopping malls. I dont have a problem figuring the landscaping numbers.

The issue is what kind of equipment is needed for snow removal? By the looks I need a loader at each site with at least 2 trucks. Without the loader 3-5 trucks?

I do have a skid and a buddy has a kubota. These both seem to small for the bigger lot but would be sufficient for the smaller 2. I could get a dozer by winter if needed. I plan on bidding all but I already informed them that I probably only can do 1. I dont want to depend on subs for the others. That was a problem this year.

Not looking for prices but just some advice from people that did large lots.

how long you think it will take on a average storm with various equipment?

1 is 259,253 sq ft.

2 is 117,916 sq ft

3 is 117,986 sq ft

2. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

The big ones you will need 2 loaders minimum if not more...depending on how much snow you get per storm, plus where are you going to stack it? Hauling snow?

If your not salting a loader will scrape nicely but include the scraping when estimating. Sounds like your over your head imo..

I wouldnt even put trucks, loaders are a must
  3. sectlandscaping

Whoever did the biggest lot this year didnt have a loader because I was doing 2 businesses across the street and drove by it dozen of times. I'm not sure about the others.

Theres a slightly bigger lot right next to this one. That is done with 3 trucks and a loader. I seen them out of there in 3-5 hours.

I did contact a few excavation companies about renting a loader for each lot and subcontracting the whole season too. This is a back up plan if I get more then one.

This winter the biggest storm we had was 8''. Other then that we didnt have more then 4''. I was doing a 50,000 sqft office building and didnt spend more then a 1 1/2 hours there.
  4. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

3 loaders 3 trucks on the first,
    one loader and a floating truck on second,
    and 2 trucks on the 3rd just keep it running non stop.

All the loading docks and other buildings included?

The first one needs the loaders for the ability to carry everything to the ends. Use the trucks down the lanes.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Equipment you can get.What's more important is people to run it. This isn't like doing some little strip mall .They expect you to be done before the workers get there. And during Christmas season you better have twice as much equipment as normal. Also what do the specs say if you don't get done? Can they hire someone else and bill you for it?
  6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You best have plenty of other work for those guys, or they won't be happy campers.

With that much artillery expect to complete this in 42 minutes with a 3" snow fall.
  7. sectlandscaping

So you think thats overkill?

2 of the lots are 3 acres. I dont see why 2 trucks couldnt do that in less then 3 hours.

A sub that I been working with for years thinks he can do the biggest with 3 trucks. I do doubt that but its possible.

I only have a proposal, doesnt say anything about penalties. Theres no trigger or time to be done by but it does say be there from start to finish.
  8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

This is overkill...

My basic math skills tells me this equals 4-loaders (with pushers I assume) and 6 plow trucks....for 11.37 acres?!? :dizzy:
  9. snorider075

snorider075 Senior Member

I figured skidloader for detail work along curbs islands in parking lot, 1 loader with 16-18ft pusher box, salt truck with blade, and pick up floating around. What about walks? Typically a loader with 18ft box can do 2 acres per hr 0-4'' event. You want to find that perfect balance between and how fast you can do it with the least overhead. Like was stated above would need more equipment for the Christmas shopping season. Can you store salt there?How close are they together?
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  10. sectlandscaping

There in a ten mile radius. The biggest lot is a mile away from me.

I would hope I could store salt but it hasnt been discussed.

The big lot has the walks covered. The only thing that would be exposed to snow would be the ramps and loading docks. The other 2 I have to measure. I would like to use the skid and kubota on the walks of them.
  11. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Do you really need to store salt on this site? It's only a 5-6 ton drop...

Unless of course having a hub there is beneficial to supply whatever else you may have going on in the area. I don't know what kind of position you are in.

Being a Mall they may object as it will take up valuable parking space. Especially during the holidays.

Good luck to you. :drinkup:
  12. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

There's your problem.

Should have used Million Man Math.

You have to admit, he would be able to do the job. :laughing:
  13. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

No doubt he would be able to do the job. Thumbs Up

He'd shine on a 12-15" snowfall with that much equipment! :salute:

Dang...I knew I should have said "fuzzy math". :drinkup:
  14. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Body shop repair bill might be on the high side, though. Lots of bumping going on with that many loaders and trucks.
  15. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

1 decent size loader and 16 foot pusher on lot 1 with 2 trucks both with fisher xls plows.
    I can do a 3 acre lot with 1 truck with an xls in 2 hrs. So I think 1 truck each for the other 2 lots.
  16. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

In a bigger snowfall, a 4 hour timeline is max it should take to plow a large commercial shopping center.

Trucks will not be able to handle that amount of snow and will very quickly run out of room. Truck for detail work, loaders for the serious snow moving.

Most likely a high traffic area as well, causing compact snow. A truck will not be able to scrape as well as a loader.

truck vs loader is what separates the big boys from the small boys.
  17. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

TRUCKS ARE FASTER. get a diesel truck with a 9ft blade with wings. have a skid or loader (only one) to use for stacking snow. let teh trucks clear everything out to the sides. use the loader to put it where it needs to be. have a skid to do random cleaning and stacking.

you guys and your loaders.
  18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Isn't the big lot around 6 acres? I would put 1 tractor with a 12ft in there at most and it would still be the best plowed lot around. Listen to TCLA. You guys are giving the thread starter bad advice.
  19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Do you actually plow snow or just read about it?
  20. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Those are our average size sites with a truck (9.5 Fisher V), and a 14' pusher on a loader they can be in & out in less than 1 hr, all three of those could be done with just that equipment, it would be pushing it, maybe one other truck to help
    Out. That truck & 14' loader do about 14 acres in 4 hrs, both operators are top notch though, both the truck & loader are also set up right & not under powered (truck has 7.3 diesel with chip, loader is 25,000 pushing a 14' Artic, could push an 18 according to Artic).