1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shopping for a used skidloader ??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by rb69, Nov 25, 2010.

1. rb69

rb69 Member
    from Midwest

I am looking for a used skidloader.. I see a few of the Bobcat 800 series,185's. Also a 1999-2000 Cat 236.., In my price range...All are rubber tired machines. Looking to use it mainly for snow & use a buddies 10' or 11' box blade from time to time.

The Bobcats are all turbo machines w/ this Cat being a non-turbo machine. The Cat seems to be priced decent and has a 50 some HP rating.

Any comments on either way on these machines?
  2. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

That's quite the variance in machines you're considering.

The 800 series is the oldest and biggest. All other things being equal, the most capable to push a 10' box. Probably doesn't have two-speed though.

The 185 is the higher end of the medium size skids, nice all the way around IMO. 10-11' box maybe pushing it most snows though if you're running stock tires.

The 236 is certainly on the smaller end, and if you could successfully push a 10' box with it all season, I'd sell my Bobcats and invest in 2 new Cats.....................
  3. mattslawn

mattslawn Junior Member
    from Indiana

the 236 cat is way to small for a 10 ft box
  4. Maxamillion67

Maxamillion67 Member

I think they are both good machines and right around the same size. I have a 2002 Cat 242 and really like the pilot controls on the cats. The only bobcat that I have ran was the one we have at work it is an older 753. I think a 10 foot pusher would be to much for both machines when you get in deeper and heavier snow. Try both of them out and see which one you like best and the find out which one has the best dealer support. Below are some spec on both machines. Good luck on the one you buy.

5. rb69

rb69 Member
    from Midwest

I would have a 8' snow wolf blade to use w/ the cat as well as the bucket.
    Looking to add a piece of equipment to go w/ my 8'2" Boss V plow that I have on my truck currently.

Both would be used for store parking lots & apartment parking lots.

The Cat is priced roughly $4000 lower than most 185 I have found for sale.
    The box blade is a buddies, I wouldn't have to use it, just not sure I want to spend more $$$ on the bigger units.

6. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

If you are plowing lots what ever you get get a 2 SPEED. If you buy a smaller machine put a 8ft snow wolf on it with a set of wings and should be a addition to your V blade. I would look into a S185 or S205 with a 2 speed. Also get a heated cab if you want to keep a operator in it all season lol.
  7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree 100%.....
  8. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

X2 listen to this wise words.
  9. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

I would go with the 800 series Bobcat, with 2 speed and hi-flow (if possible), the size of the machine will make it the most productive choice. I've ran a few 700 series Bobcats and they were great machines for snow, we later 'upgraded' to a s185. The 185 is a great machine but it was a drop in HP from the 7 we had, it bairly handled a 8' boxed plow or 84" snow bucket. The cat is the smallest of the machines you listed and personally, I'm not a big fan of the earlier cats, seems like it took them a few years to get everything smoothed out.

I'm not sure how much you have to spend or what you plan on doing to keep the machines busy during the summer, it might be worth looking into something new though. We got a (killer) deal on our Case series-3 machines 2 years ago, low 20's, totally decked out.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010