1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shopping center by the hour

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by FISHERBOY, Aug 14, 2007.

1. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Today i found out that my shopping center wants to go by the hour the instead of going by the season like in years past :cry: , i'm only a small lawn maintenence co, with no heavy equipment i always rent it, and no way am i going to spend my own money on rental, and take a chance on it snowing this season. If anyone can HELP please make suggestions.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Since you plowed it last year can you go back on any records for how many times you plowed? Then take that figure and take the hourly rate for this year and compare see which is better.

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

damn. if they told me that i wouldnt rent ANY equipment. of course they might get concerned when they saw me out there with a broom and dustpan. :nod:

4. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

thanx

I hav to rent something the 1 center has guide rail in the back, and the other center is about the size of a Wal-mart so u need at least a loader :waving:

5. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

i went through my records , i just don't want to take a chance on putting up that much money for rentals, i will make just as much money plowing my smaller lots and roads without paying rentals, & looking for more xysport

6. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I would explain to them that your are a small, professional snow removal service that does not have the working capital to rent the required equipment out of pocket.

Also tell them, "Last year it snowed XX times and it cost you $XX.oo. If it would have snowed XXXX times it still would have only cost you $XX.oo. When we sign a deal, you KNOW how much it is going to cost you and you can budget it. If you sign an hourly contract with me or with someone else, you have NO idea how much it is going to cost you. Could be less, could be ALOT more."

If you can live without them, I might let them go. It sounds like they are trying to save money and get it for as cheap as they can.

I put out a landscape bid last week and got an email from them saying that they are considering me, but I'm the only one that requires money up front. I wrote them back explaining that I am a small, family run business with the owner, me, on site working and making sure the customer was happy. And as such, we don't always have the capital on hand to purchase the needed materials. I went on explaining more about the quality work we do because we are small. We'll see.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  7. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

i was thinking at least a $100.00 per inch or more to plow a large shopping center :help:

8. grandview

You may have to give them a spread 1-3,3-5. I only do seasonal so I head out between 2-3 inches and plow until it done snowing.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2007
  9. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

plow by inch

is that too cheap should i go higher

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You need to be a little more specific then a LARGE shopping mall. How big is large? Sq' or Acres.

11. grandview

Maybe you need to be clearer on this. 100.00 means nothing to me. Do you mean that for a 100.00 you'll plow a whole mall?

12. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

how this ex. $100.00x3inches =300 about 1.5hrs of plowing 100.00x5inches =$500.00 and so on

13. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I think your way to high, you should really be at about 20 dollars an hour. start from there and figure out your pricing on how long it will take.....

This is totally false info cause i plow for beer money

14. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

This is totally false info cause i plow for beer money[/QUOTE]

wow that was the best laugh of my day thanks BNC

15. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I wouldn't go broke for one company that's playing the cheap card. If you can supplement the income from other jobs I wouldn't take the chance with them.

16. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

So asking us to give you a per inch price didnt work, so now you want us to give you an hourly price..:gunsfiring: If you ask nicely how to price commercial lots we might help you out, but its not looking good so far..

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2007
  17. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

See and I am in the other boat. I have a property management company who is going to take a number of accounts away from an hourly guy. Their budget was around 45k and he billed 95k in a average snow year on one property. He had 5. Now he has ZERO. We gave him a seasonal number that is hard and fast, he jumped so fast that I had to move so he would not sign my hand....

It is a cycle thing. The managers think they are being cheated, Then they change and get cheated, and quickly change back....If you pass and your numbers are good they may be back next year with their hat in their hands.

18. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

So.... you only drink $20 Dollars worth of beer and hour, when you are plowing?:drinkup: Or do you figure in Gas and munchies as well. I say go 99.99 an inch it look really cheap on a 100 Acre Center, or are we talking per cubic inch removed, then I would want to be 99.98

Sorry, I am in the middle of bid season and have about 99.98 hours in so I found it funny.

19. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

How about instead of renting equipment, you sub contract it out to someone who has a loader. This way you are only paying them if it snows, but have the equipment needed to keep the account.

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Explain to them that to keep a loader with no guarantee is foolish. How about maybe going with a standby rate, which will cover the rental and then a reasonable hourly rate.