1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shopping Carts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by spiviter, Dec 30, 2005.

1. spiviter

spiviter Member
    from chicago

:mad: My biggest account this season is a mall. I keep asking them to have all the retailers push there carts into the collection area or along the front of the building on the sidewalks, My guys call and say there are 40 carts out and about the lot. How do I set up a sub charge for every time they have to get out of the trucks and move them. I have already destroyed 6 or 7 carts and left them there to be seen and have pushed some into the snow mounds.. I need some input on this please.....:mad:

2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Kinda depends on the value of the lot in my opinion. If the lot is a real good deal then just deal with the carts. If it's a not so good deal, then make a "little" stink. Unfortunately, if you didn't word the cart issue into the contract at signing, it's gonna be tough to add it now. As far as destroying em? Bad business in my opinion. Would you damage cars at a repair facility if they were left in the lot? I am sure you wouldn't. Pushing them to the furthest end of the lot however is another thing altogether...........

Also, take pics fo the carts that are left out. Could be that the manager had told the staff to bring them in, but it's not getting done. The other reason for the pics is because people exaggerate. What is bieng counted as "30 or 40" carts might actually be 10 or 15.

Just my thoughts,

Bob

PS: What part of Chgo you in? We're neighbors.

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with everything sawboy said. Id make sure management knows and understands that the carts need to be collected. Which according to you they do. At this point id talk whoever is in charge and try to find out if this is being done and when the carts are being moved. Ask if he personally sees then get moved or if he knows who is supposed to be checking to make sure its done. Let them know that its very important that this is done as you need to pay attention to keeping their lot in good condition and not moving shopping carts. Tell them even if its not done everynight, take the time to round them all up when snow is forecast. If it happens again after you talk to the manager about it then Id send a letter threatening additional charges for the time it takes to move all the carts.

As for the carts themsealves, I would be a little upset about having to do this but me and whoever else was with me would get out and round up all the carts before any plowing was done. Put them all infront of the enterance and even leave a note addressed to the manager letting them know who put them there and why. Id be tempted to plow them into snowbanks but then they have a strike against you if they want to get picky with the situation.

Let them know your needs and weather its in the contract or not, iam sure they would be willing to meet them or find out why your requests are not being met and figure out a solution.

4. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

do as sawboy does push them as far as you can away and push a bunch near the front door ,it works ,you dont need a note just put twenty or so at the sidewalks and doors all spread out so no cars come in then salt ,carts dont roll well on salt ,people catch on fast ,if it happens again just push them slightly in a little snow not all the way packed in just enough that when they come to retrieve them,which they will,you will see them just about rip their guts out,that person(morning shift) will go crying and guess what ,night shift catches hell.the cart guys dont like hard work and to having to pull them out of snow sucks.

5. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

This is definatly a reflection on the quality of management. I have never seen a super store or any other who left a bunch of carts out in their lot overnight. After speeking to the manager, I would charge a substancial amount for the "cart rodeo" that your help has to preform the next time. I would up the charge each time that you have to do it. Eventually they will get the hint. If your employees are really bitching, give them the extra $$ that you are charging the store.

6. GSE

GSE Senior Member

I'd tell your guys to be careful with those carts! A contractor that I did some sub work for about 10 years ago was back charged $125 per cart for any that were damaged by plowing operations. Was anything like this stipulated in your contract? I tell my guys that they pay for any carts they damage, and miraculously not one broken cart! Knock on wood....

7. cincy snowdog

usally when the manager rolls in and there are carts scattered across his door -he is not happy.i have done this a few times,some of these stores change managers quicker than s@#$,so we have to break in the new manager ,you have to bring it to their attention so that they become very aware of the problem.
    this year(12-8) we asked twice during the night to see if night shift could come out and get the carts,we were told twice yes at break time,well break time was nt soon enough,we pushed over a hundred carts up to the doors ,in the handicap stalls,we just flooded the whole store with so many carts no cars could get to the aisle way near the door to walk in .store not open for another hour.the manager arrived walked in two minutes later you had the entire store stocking employees grabbing carts,(windy as heck and twenty degrees) they were not happy at all ,the managers were out there too it was funny ,you never saw people move carts so fast.i cant wait for snow to see if the problem is fixed,if not i will have to school them again and this time i will have a picture. when i turned the bill i put a hefty charge and nothing was mentioned.

8. cincy snowdog

gse no i would not allow my guys to use the trucks or machines no way ,your right 125 apiece,i told them to get out(to stretch from time to time) take their time and push them by hand all night we were in same mall but only one particular store,i also hand my shovelers and cart corral cleaners pushing them.we have in the past moved entire stacks towards the building for them but the manager asked us to,my guys did,everything went fine but i told them never again.

9. john-boy

john-boy Member

we lost a walmart years ago because of so many carts...now we get out and move them ourselves...it all pays the same whether the truck sits and idles or plows!!

10. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

If you charge by the hour I would take your time and slowly bring the carts up, but leave a note letting the manager know.

11. rembrandt100

rembrandt100 Member

Hard to believe that a manager allows an employee to leave carts out overnight. I know of a fellow that drives around collecting the carts that are taken off of lots by customers. Son of a gun gets $10. for each one returned. Those 40 carts are worth $400.00 to him. The manager may thank you for pointing this out to him as someone is not doing thier job. But now that you have shoved a few carts ..............

Dave

12. cincy snowdog

No We Didnt Use Trucks ,we Pushed By Hand,the Reason They Get Left Is After The Manager Leaves At Six Pm ,the Cart Kids Stop Going Out To Get Them They Only Get The Close Ones ,the Manager Was Out Pushing Carts The Next Morning And He Didnt Seem Very Happy,so Someone Got Some Serious Tongue Lashing On Evening Shift Because When The Store Closed ,the Carts Stayed. Out They Have So Many Cameras On These Lots You Cant Do Anything So I Tell My Guys If They Get Caught On Camera They Just Bought Themselves Some Carts And They Stay Away.this Was Just12-8-05 I Will See If The Manager Has Any Educational Skills Next Snow.

13. spiviter

spiviter Member
    from chicago

I am the business owner and have 2 trucks on that lot. It cost me $200 an hour for them to be there, I don't need them pushing carts by hand they have other lots to get too when they are done. The carts that were destroyed this season were pushed into the snow banks/Islands by customers and we buried them. I was there at 3:30 this morning to see if we need to salt at all. And I counted 18 carts today out and about the lot. I had a talk with the mall management already about this issue after our 6 inch snow fall a few weeks ago.

14. john-boy

john-boy Member

I take it that u bid this job seasonal rather than hourly. If its bid hourly, then your making more on those two trucks.

15. cincy snowdog

you got it -hourly so slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww down !!!!!!

per push-what about if it is snowing an inch an hour then how do you do per push on large lots,hourly for us and take your time !(not saying milk them but i dont want my trucks being in a big hurry because it is set price.)

16. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I'd charge them $10 a cart to move them to where they belong. Split the $10between you and the plow operator, that way they'll be encouraged to move them vs. plowing them into a pile and potentially losing the account. By charging per cart, the mall can go back to the tennants and bill them or however they want to handle it.

Buck

17. cincy snowdog

so are you saying you would rather pay for the carts

Last edited: Dec 31, 2005
  18. cincy snowdog

If You Are Doing Large Lots Per Push You Need Bigger Toys Like ,10 11 12' Plows And Pushers Not Pickups And One Tons Sorry

19. makplow

makplow Senior Member

Being in business, we all have to bite our tonges some times, take the good and the bad, but there gets to be a point where enough is enough. The small guy always seems to get pushed around. If we all stick together maybe things could get better. Remember stength is in numbers. mac. :nod:

20. spiviter

spiviter Member
    from chicago

I get a flat rate per month under contract. I do get extra money for large snow / extra salt per the contract agreement. If I am getting $4500 per month and I have to move carts 5 times in 1 month it could cost me up to $1,000. I always come out better with per season contracts then per hour or per push. If we get no snow for a month Its pure profit for the books. If you do it per hour or push and it don't snow for a month you get nothing... The average will always be in your favor in my opinion.....4500 x 5 = $22,500 for the season. It takes $250 to 1,200 per snow fall to maintain the lot...salt,plow, and shoveling... We run 2 pickups with 7-1/2 plow with wings, I think they are better then 9-1/2 to 10ft straight blades. Being able to scoop more and less trails to clean up....:gunsfiring: