1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shop Setup

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NickyBombs, Sep 13, 2006.

1. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

I was wondering what everyone else uses in their shops to remove their vbox spreaders from the back of the trucks. I was looking into getting a 2 ton chain hoist and hook it to an I beam from the ceiling. Anyone else use something similiar or have any better ideas. Pics would be great. Thanks All:dizzy:

2. Sunrise154

Sunrise154 Junior Member

Unless you are thinking about takeing your spread off full. I am pretty sure a 1 ton chain hoist will do. That is what I use and my spreader is old and heavy

3. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

I wanted to go for the two ton for overkill. Just in Case !!! happens. But any one have any pics. I will have to beef up the wooden overhead beams and attach an I beam to the hoist so that I can move the hoist along the beam. Wanted some ideas from others. Thanks in advance. Can't wait for some snow.............

4. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

5. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

A nice set up is having four posts the are a good distance apart. Then you cross the top of two post on each side with an I beam. (down two walls) then you can put a beam on rollers that spans the area you want to work. Your hoist then hangs from that beam also on a roler.
    This lets you lift and lower anywhere inside the four posts.

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

My shop is an old manufacturing plant so we have an overhead 10 ton gantry. Way overkill. I have also used our lift before.

On a smaller scale, a loader or skid steer, A frame, tree limb, engine hoist, etc. An empty spreader is more cumbersome then heavy.

I have also heard of guys payin a tow truck to load at the start of the year and remove at the end.

7. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

If the area above is unfinished, poke a small hole through the floor. Take a 4x6 or 6x6 about 6-8 ft. long and lay it out perpendicular to the floor joists to spread out the load. Either put and eye bolt or wrap a chain around it and dangle it down to the garage area. You can use a come-along to lift it the foot or two that is needed from that.