1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shop Remodel

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Jun 17, 2000.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Well<p>The shop remodel is under way. Today the cement was poored for the salt and sand building. I know cement and salt don't mix but wasn't sure what else to do. So i poored the standard 4 foot frost wall. I plan to tar the floor. I am going to coat the cement and put plywood around the inside to try to keep damage to a min. I have four bays in the building, 1 Pure salt, 2 Sand and Salt Mix Bays, 1 bay to store baged ice melt, mag cloride, shovels, ect. The new shop building is completed, in the summer it will be used to store materials ( pipe, wire, polls, ect ) in the winter i will park truck in it. The &quot;lean two&quot; in back of my current shop will be used in the winter to store materials. The second building is one of those pre fab kits, that you can get a 40X60 building for 9 K. They work really well, only you have to add, windows, doors, heating, lighting, ect.<p>Geoff<p>Hope to have some pics soon<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: GeoffDiamond

2. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

Geoff,if your interested i can give you a great deal on bagged ice melter.As far as your floor if you spray your salt with Magic you wont have to worry about it eating away the floor.I store about 500 tons of Magic salt in my shop on painted concrete all summer long and the paint is still in good condition.Even if Magic didnt improve your salts melting ability it certainly is worth using to save that nice new floor you just poured.<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

3. GeoffD

There is a company about 20 mins away that produces bark mulch, top soil, ect, all bagged. Anyways i am good friends with the owner, he told me to bring up the salt and a few of my guys, on some saturday and i could bag all i want. The only cost would be the cost of his bags sold to me at cost, the only thing is my salt bags might say bark mulch on them. He likes it because if i use 200 bags or more, the cost of bags may go down for him becuase he buys more. I looked into labeling them rock salt, but the cost was more than i wanted to spend. The bags are cheezy but the cost is right, and it keeps the salt bagged and in the end thats all that matters.<p>The floor of the shop will be tar, only the frost walls are cement<p>Are there any websites about magic salt?<p>Geoff

4. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

geoff- take some pictures, scan them in and show us the progress of your shop. i'm interessted in all aspects of the snow removal business so i'd like to see how you build it and what it looks like.<p>Bryan<p>----------<br><br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Geoff here is a web site for magic salt, also send me your fax # and I can fax you some info. Also I believe that as long as the salt stays dry if wont harm the concrete. A good sealer, and urethane edge on the loader will help also. And if I may, skip the sand/salt mix stall, and just keep 2x as much magic salt in stock. That is the ticket to more money baby. Using sand is so 20th century <br>http://www.snomelt.com/<br>http://www.mtnproducts.com/<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: plowking35

6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Geoff, a mix of 50/50 Linseed Oil & Mineral Spirits will penetrate the concrete and do a good job of keeping the salt out. Aply after about a month to give the new concrete time to dry out well. Apply liberally and several times until no more will soak in. If your tar coat flakes off you will still get slat in the 'crete as opposed to a sealer that penetrates.

7. GeoffD

Alan,<p>Thanks for the tips<p>The floor is going to be tar, the walls i will have to coat.<p>Dino;<p>I gotta keep my sand salt mix, becuase thats the customers want. I am working to sell them on the use of salt. However i have gotten some to allow me to use pure salt at certian times and temps. I might try pre wetting pure salt with mag cloride, wonder if or how that would work.<p>Anyways what did you guys think of the big mighty portland maine? Before ya know it you have driven through it<p><br>Geoff

8. plowking35

from SE CT

John mag will work at the spreader as a pre wet system on the truck. It will not work as pretreating the stock pile. the reason is the concentration of material in mag chloride is not strong enough to last in the pile. It will turn back to a powder when it dries, and then take even longer to reactivate once in the presence of moisture.<br>That is what is so sweet with magic, it stays consistant, ready to work. It wont corrode your equipment and no extra on board systems are needed. It wont hurt the aspahlt or concrete.<br>I was just busting about the no sand salt, however on seasonal accounts use what makes and saves you money . As long as the customer gets good service do they really care what you use. Also when you sell the magic salt stress the cleanup saving by not having tons and tons of sand applied to their lots, and all the enviro issues of salt are solved with the magic coating.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

9. guido

guido PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey Guys, just thought I'd put my 2 cents in. I know you said your floor was going to be asphalt, so I'll just give you guys some info of the future!! Theres a new (kinda new) concrete called polyester concrete. It resists all chemicals and there is a 0 % seepage rate. (theres a real word for it, but you know what I mean, liquids cannot penetrate the surface) Its being used in a lot of new concrete drain products that we use. Salt and other chemicals used on the roads and flightline were eating the old drains away quick.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

10. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry Geoff, the way I read it I thought the floors were 'crete and you were going to apply an asphalt coat to them to seal the salt out. Now I realize you are going to pave the floor. Funny how local terms don't always translate.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Alan

11. GeoffD

DINO:<br>I ment running mag cloride through my pre wet systems, on to pure salt. I bet that would provide some serious melting ablilities.<p>Geoff<p>Anyways what did you guys think of portland when ya visited maine?<p>Geoff

12. plowking35

from SE CT

Yes Geoff that will. However that wont adress the corrosion issue that pure salt will do to the steel spreaders, or enviro concerns. the magic does both. Plus on trucks that dont have the prewet systems, you are sol with the jumpstarting the salt.<br>With coated salt, no need for more prewet systems, just load and spread like regular salt, or mix.<br>That is true beauty of it all. Plus I am not sure what mag is running a gallon or spread rates per lane mile, but the magic will only add about 25% to a ton of salt.<br>Call me sometime and we can discuss in detail.860-859-0739<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org