1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shop payment

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by karl klein, Apr 10, 2005.

1. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i am looking to move into a fulltime shop and was wondering what to expect topay per sqft. i have found a couple 1500sqftshops with a large overhead door behind them and a reguler glass door infront currently there is no walls in rhem just a bathroom i was thinking maybe put a small lounge upfront for those long night breaks i will still run my office from home but need a place to keep my equipment and work from. please if you could give me a idea what you pay per sqft i would be thankful

karl klein
  2. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I rent a garage from a family who owns a farm nearby. I go in with another guy, and we split the rent. I have a 25 x 50 space, with 4 parking spaces, and a open area to put big equipment, or other stuff. I pay about $200. That is a steal, but these people are happy to have someone use the space. The only thing is, I don't have a bathroom. If you have to really go, well, you can drive to the gas station nearby. If you can find a farm, you can definately get something cheaper.
  3. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Unless you can find a really good deal, it will be quite expensive. Have you given any thought to a vacant parcel, and putting up a steel building. It would be better in the long run, as you would have something to sell at the end. But renting would probably be easier. I am hoping to do something like that in a few years for my semi and snow stuff, but for now am only dreaming.

I have checked into some storage sites that have larger units with larger overhead doors. No heat, electric, or plumbing, but found one for 140.00 a month. A generator for electric, portable water tank, and a salamander for heat. Sometimes you just gotta make do with what you can.

Just some ideas.

I am going to buy a portable water tank (65 gallon) for my pressure washer for the semi sometime very soon (almost today).

4. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Jeff I see them at auctions all the time. There is a construction co auction comming up in Ladd IL. They might have some there here is the web page for the auction co. www.lyonauction.com I was just at one yesterday in Kankakee and they had 3 big tanks and they went cheap. I will keep my eye out for you if I run across one in an auction brochure I will let you know.
  5. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I have a 1650 sq foot shop and I pay 550 a month...Rob
  6. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

thanks jeff i currently have a 10'x40' storage unit and it is plum full with out anywere to put the trucks and i will probably end up just renting a nother storage bay plus find some where to store a couple of trucks i am just sick of having to run back and forth from my shop (garage) and my storage unit with the equipment and now i need somewhere to put a pair of trucks so that is why i am looking for options

i did find that the going rate seems to be 6.50 a sqft per year so unless i find something cheaper ore until my summer maintence buss. grows i will continue to use a storage unit becuase i can't afford 1100.00 per month
  7. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I can't afford that price either, but WANT a place real bad. I want my semi closer to me, as it is now parked about 30 miles away at my broker's lot. Sure, it is free, but he knows if/when I leave. Will cost more a month in fuel, but less wear and tear on personal vehicle (which will soon be owned by my business. When we get our finances in a little better order, and time to buy another house, I want to find something where I can build a shop on my property so my business can lease the space from me. Maybe my business will pay part of my mortgage?!

Thanks for the auction info scuba. My buddies are looking for a newer topkick to replace their well used one. They are trying to go diesel instead of gas also. I am going to check the auction site right now. I still gotta wait to buy stuff as I need to get a paycheck sometime soon! :)

PS. I wish I had cash on hand or the loan went through. That auction has 2 2002 Dierzen dump trailers which I need one of two weeks ago. I guess I will just have to keep giving away 10% of my gross to rent. :(

Oh, and there is another one even closer to me in Racine, WI. But I haven't looked at that one yet.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  8. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Hey Jeff

How close are you to HWY 45 and 11? I might be able to get you storage for your truck at the shop I work at for a very decent price. It might not be close enough to make it worth your while though. I also have a friend who is looking at buying a building in Lake Villa who will most likely have room to if he buys. I will ask him he knows a lot of people up that way who might be able to help you out. I was going to go to that auction in Racine on Sat but I ended up getting food poisoning and was laid up all weekend. I need to get a fork truck that I can drive on a gravel drive and has at least 8,000 lbs lifting capability but the ones I have come across have been going for almost retail at these auctions.