1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shop Heat

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nick858, Oct 22, 2008.

1. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Wasnt sure where to post this... What do you guys use for heat in your shop? I have a 1200 sq ft shop, and am trying to decide on this. Should have went with floor heat, but thats a lost cause now. Anybody use electric heaters, The tube style heater is what I would like, but its a little more money than Id like to spend.
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We've used a tube heater in our shop for 18 years and it's required very little maintenance. We just put an addition on so we bought a waste oil furnace, so we're hoping it's as good.
  3. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

Floor heat is the way to go.

We use the overhead tube heater and have had it in the shop for a few years now and it's great.
    Our old shop has wood heat, works good but takes a while to heat the place up.
  4. sherwin

sherwin Member

We've always used a Modine run on propane. We just picked up an outdoor wood burner and are in the process of running the water lines to the shop. Then we just hook up a modine that uses the hot water and blows warm air. We have a cast iron stove that works great, but needs tending to and takes a while to heat up. Between the three we should stay nice and cozy. The propane is nice to keep things above freezing and instant heat, the other two are more for when we will be working in there or need to thaw things out.
  5. DKG

DKG Senior Member

My shop is heated using an outdoor wood boiler connected to a unit heater. Previously we used tube heaters with no problems.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

We are planning on using a corn pellet heat this winter. Nothing like a Nipco heater for a quick thaw tho.
  7. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Ya I know the floor heat is the way to go, but its too late for that now. Anyone use just a regular furnace?
  8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i use a commercial 90% efc. gas with a snout out the top and it works great for the 6200' shop.
  9. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Luckily, the building we just bought has in floor heat :)
  10. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

In Oklahoma we use the sun!!!!!! No really I have had much luck with the "Val 6". Do a google search and learn.
  11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you go with a regular furnace consider isolating it from the rest of the shop. This keeps it from lighting off any fuel leaks or spills with the pilot light. My Dad had his inside a block enclosure with a man door in it. The room was vented to the outside for combustion air.
  12. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Aren't they banning the use of those around here?.
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry it's a waste vegtable oil furnace.;) That's how they got around it, mines brand new.
  14. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Now hypothetically speaking, if the place goes up in flames can they determine ones using waste oil instead of veggie oil?
  15. Young gun

Young gun Junior Member

We heat a 5000 sq. ft. shop mainly with wood. Takes awhile to heat up but cheap. The place is well insulated. For back up I have over head radiant heat using a propane tank.
  16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Get an out door boiler they work great.
  17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Farmers are allowed to burn waste oil for some reason, others are not allowed. Used oil to me seems alot cheaper then wood and alot easier. Everyone seems to want to give me oil now, that I have a furnace. I'm not sure if you would get in trouble if they found out what you were burning. I think your insurance company may be able to answer that.
  18. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Radiant tube in the one shop and geothermal infloor in the new shop. It's new so I can't wait to see what it won't cost to heat the new house and shop. House is 4650sq ft, garage is 1200 and the shop is 2400. Going by what I was told it should only cost around $1,200/year to heat and cool.
  20. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa