1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Sep 23, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

do you guys use shoes when doing residential? I have some residential, and some commerical. Im debating wether to keep the shoes on or not, mainly because the residentials want that nice clean scrape, and im concered with the shoes on, it wont allow for this.
  2. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

No shoes - for the reason you said, no shoes, no scrape
  3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

If your driveways are all paved, then I would go with no shoes, but I must admit I used mine all last year as I had a couple of gravel drives, and if they are set right, I was able to clear the paved driveways pretty good. One thing though if you go with out them make sure your customers are aware that you WILL leave scrape marks in the driveway. Nothing major, just so you do not get phone calls in the spring people screaming that you marked up their driveways. Better to be upfront about things...
  4. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Funny, I just replied to another guy asking weather to buy a Western Plow or BOSS and I'll give you the same advice....do a " SEARCH " last year I responded to this very question your asking, it has been discussed here upteen times.

I'm sorry if this seems rude, but I did the search before I typed this and it was un-believeable the amount of info I found, even some polls as well. I like helping people out and if possible saving them some payup , but I hate typing time and time again for the same thing.

Good Luck
  5. PremierLand

from detroit

LOL right on. however, sometimes when I do searchs, they dont come up, maybe im typing it in wrong. Like I wanted to know something about timbrens, but I knew it'd been disscussed several times, however I couldnt find the thread. LOL... but I see what your saying.
  6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Everytime I get a new plow the shoes go right on ebay..

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

no shoes they just site on the shelf and get dusty. :waving:
  8. PremierLand

from detroit

Looks like im going barefoot. lol. The shoes that are on it now are real nice cast iron ones too.
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Manufacturers put them on the plow for a reason, I have no idea why so many people insist on taking them off. They are cheap to replace compared to cutting edges, do less damage to the underlying ground, and help the blade 'skip' over obstacles like manhole covers.

I ALWAYS run the shoes and have yet to have a complaint about the thin layer of snow it leaves (which usually melts in the sun or under car tires very quickly anyways). Anyone who insists on bare asphalt should be willing to pay for salting.
  10. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

Shoes were designed for gravel roads so you can leave a gap to prevent picking up all the loose gravel the only people I ever see using shoes have never plowed so they don't know the difference. just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:
  11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I really hope you aren't suggesting that I don't know what I am talking about.

You may want to keep those two cents to help pay for new cutting edges or repairing customers scraped up parking lines etc. Those sorts of things get pricey.

I'll stick to a properly adjusted set of shoes, thank you. If a customer requests something different, I'll worry about it then. In the meantime, I'll keep the extra money in my own pocket.

12. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

Wasn't implying anything. I figured someone would get pissed off, anytime anyone expresses an opinion on this site somebody else usually chews them out. I was just saying the people I've seen use them in the past typically took them off after the first plow. If it works for you leaving them on fine, more power to ya.
  13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Shoes? what shoes?LOL I do use them, only to support my plow when storing it durring the summer. We had a guy plowing with shoes last year (his first year) doing commercial. The "Big Boss" drove through, found out who plowed it and made him plow it again. Thats one of the first things they tell us every year..."take those damn shoes off". :salute: :gunsfiring: :dizzy: :cry:
  14. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

They make a real nice set of book ends. Nice and heavy to keep my encyclopedias from falling over. Other wise there off.
  15. Scottish Lscape

Scottish Lscape Member

No Shoes! No Shoes!
  16. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I find here the shoes just did in till the first big freeze. I never use the shoes either...Rob
  17. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats what i was always told they were for..
  18. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

I put the shoes on, but adjust them up high. I figure the added weight will only help with scraping. If I need to do a gravel drive (I don't normally), they're there and I don't have to go looking for them at home.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

No shoes, clean scrape!
  20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

???????????? you know the answer to your own Q. by now don't you :waving:
    no shoes just boots :drinkup: