1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoes

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 06Sierra, Sep 19, 2010.

1. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I have a 7.5' RD that I need shoes for. I have always plowed on pavement, but this year will be gravel. I am buying a house that has a LONG gravel driveway and I lost the shoes that I had. Does anyone have some that they don't use and want to sell?

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I plow mostly gravel driveways and I don't use shoes. You don't need them IMO.

3. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

It should be easy to find a set because nobody uses them.

4. 06Sierra

from Maine

I have never had to worry about it before. I just don't want to end up with half of my driveway on the lawn!

5. mercer_me

How long has the driveway beem there? If it is new and it isn't hard you mite want to use shoes but if it's been driven on alot and it's hard don't worry about shoes.

6. SkiJohnnyB

SkiJohnnyB Member

I plow a 600ft gravel driveway. Plowing with shoes doesn't work that great.....you'll be re-landscaping your yard and/or pushing tons of gravel into your grass. I plow with a 2" schd 80 pipe that is slotted and put over the cutting edge.

If you search around the site, you'll find pics. I'll try to find some, too

7. SkiJohnnyB

SkiJohnnyB Member

8. 06Sierra

from Maine

9. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Lift your blade up a little when the gravel is soft until it freezes up. When it freezes you will be able to plow it with the blade dropped. I have a couple I have to plow that way or all the gravel will be on the lawn.

10. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

What he said...... the only time shoes help on gravel is if the gravel is very bony (large rocks). Impacts won't be as harsh because the blade is up slightly.
    But if the gravel is soft, the shoes will sink in just like the blade does and you'll find yourself having to keep the blade raised anyway. Keep the blade raised until the ground is froze. After that, drop and scrape like you would on pavement.
    I have shoes for my XV, but only use them a couple times a year. Got them thrown in on the deal.

:nod:

11. mercer_me

12. 06Sierra

from Maine

Thanks guys! Thanks Mercer. The people we are buying it from are the only owners. They are very anal about having things done the right way. It is a very nice house on 15 acres with a big barn. We are getting a good deal on it. I can't wait to get out of the little house that we are renting right now!!!

13. mercer_me

Since my 7.5' Fisher SD didn't come stock with shoes I had the dealer throw them in when I bought it. I never use them but I got them just incase I do need them one day.