1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoes to use with spreading Calcium Chloride

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Golden Boy, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Golden Boy

Golden Boy Junior Member
    from Ohio

What kind of shoes/boots do you wear when you have to spread calcium on sidewalks? Leather is out because it shrinks after a few uses.

2. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

i have redwing boots - wash them after each use and oil them after every coupl of uses and they will be fine...

3. Freddy130

Freddy130 Senior Member

Rubber boots?

4. plowindiesel

plowindiesel Senior Member

i use my all rubber deer hunting boots. another quick/inexpensive fix is rubber boot covers or yellow cement boots to throw on over your boots

5. Premier

Premier Senior Member

i will ask my employes tomorrow :laughing::laughing:

I ware la cross hunting boots with the removable liners that way if they get wet i can change the liners and keep going.

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I have used the Servus boot rubbers from Farm & Fleet for over 20 years now. They give a bit more of a cushion when walking on concrete and prolong the life of my boots by at least 10 years. I even keep em on in the summer for mud and when it is raining. Great deal if you ask me and long lasting.

I just replaced a pair I bought in 1994. Only reason I had to replace them was a hole worn in the heel about 2 years ago and it was finally letting to much wetness in.

Best $30 bucks you will spend and may end up as the most used plus it is a tax deduction.
    Servus rubbers.jpg

Servus rubbers.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  7. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I use the slip on rubber cover boots from Fleet Farm as well over my Red Wings. I use the Tingley brand that does not have the tie clasps. They fit tighter on top by the laces and dont allow snow or salt in. I am in and out of the truck often and they work great to keep the boots dry and getting cold hasnt been a problem at all.

8. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

Ditto what he said... I wear mine all winter over my redwings

9. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

I also wear my Redwings and wash after every use. I put the oil on once a month. Good luck!!!