1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shoes or not to shoe

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Laminin, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Laminin

Laminin Junior Member
    from MT

Hi, guys. Another green-horn here. Here is my situation. We got about a foot of the wet heavy white stuff over the weekend. At the time I had two accounts. One was a paved 6 car parking lot. The other was a 200' gravel driveway. I did not put my shoes on because it is a pain. I just bumped the blade up on the gravel. Worked cool. Two days later I got an account for about two miles of a graveled road subdivision. (The subdivision is about 5 miles away from my first two accounts and it maybe got a 1/4 inch in the same storm, so no need for plowing this go around.) Question: No shoes or put them on and take them off every time I switch from asphalt to gravel until ground freezes or switch all year? I spent about 3 hours last night searching and reading all of the posts that I could on this subject and I would say there is a 50/50 split on guys saying to use versus not to use. What would you do in this situation?

Awesome sight. I've been lurking for a while and learning all I could. You guys a super knowledgeable with great info.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's more what works for you. If you don'tmine jumping out of the truck go ahead and do it.
  3. Laminin

Laminin Junior Member
    from MT

I read all of the past posts except yesterdays on the same subject. Little different ? Sorry for the "repeat"
  4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

dont have to take the shoes off or put them on. just leave them on and adjust the spacers.
    run them high and drop them down if you find you need them for something.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

When I'm plowing I like to take my shoes off and slip on my bunny slippers.
    I just love that warm fuzzy feeling...:p
  6. Laminin

Laminin Junior Member
    from MT

I tried it once with my slippers, but my feet got cold when I got out to shovel the walk so now I do not know what to do. My Mangina kicking in I guess lol
  7. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Shoeless is how I will be running :)
  8. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

It only takes a couple minutes to get out and put them on or off, I would use the shoes on the gravel till it;s hard...
  9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

you dont need shoes on at all, if the gravel is soft they wont do much anyway
  10. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Are yours the pink, white, or grey ones? I think the grey ones are warmer, But I prefer the white ones, they are camouflaged and I can sneak up on the abominable snowman in the dark!prsport
  11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I never plow with shoes. Shoes make it harder to back drag.
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Yea, yea, I got the pink ones.:(
    I'm jealous, I wish I had the white ones like you do.
    Maybe for X-mass I'll get a pair of white bunny slippers from Santa.
    (you getting this Santa?)
  13. Laminin

Laminin Junior Member
    from MT

Thanks for the replies. Like I said it looks like around a 50/50 split for the guys who cared to help me out.
  14. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I plow 5 drives..... 2 paves, 3 gravel. I dont bother with the shoes, just bump up till its freezes, like said before by others, they make it hard to back drag, and until the ground is frozen, they dont do squat.
  15. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

Yes, Virginia there is a Santa!!!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  16. Laminin

Laminin Junior Member
    from MT

Thanks, I just got another account today. 1/4 mile two track with a 2 - 3 inch high grass hump down the middle. Shoes would not do me any good on this one, so I don't have a choice, but to bump it up til I get a good base. I guess I now have 3 good door stops.