1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoe's or No shoe's

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MOPIG74, Aug 23, 2006.

1. MOPIG74

MOPIG74 Junior Member

Im fairly new to plowing for myself,but have done so with my uncle's equiptment for a few year's now.My uncle never used the metal shoes on the bottom of his plow's,most of which were Meyer's. He alway's claimed that you could do a much cleaner job(to which I agree) and he alway's said-"If im gonna plow,im gonna plow" The shoe's to him ,didn't let the blade clean the lot's bare! My question to you guy's is ;How many of you guy's use the plow boot's ? and how many do not? Is plowing without them alot harder on your rig?
  2. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

do not and never did and never will unless i get a driveway that is stone and it snows b4 the 2nd week of dec(which i never had b4)
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I where a light weight steel toe hiking boot must of the time. No matter if I'm plowing frozen, unfrozen gravel, asphalt or concrete.:D

Sorrels are in the back seat just in case.prsport lol
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I like the new composite "tech" toe, it's warmer. Properly adjusted skid feet all the time
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have always used the plow shoes. One to keep the shop door open and the other to keep the paper in place on my desk.xysport

No I have never used plow shoes. I plow only paved sites and I do believe that it scrapes better. I can get 5-6 years out of a cutting edge and a new one is $150 to $200. I plow at least 150 hours per year.
  6. MOPIG74

MOPIG74 Junior Member

Skid feet! That's the words I was trying to think of but couldn't,That's why I just called them shoes.:dizzy:
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I never use shoes when I plow, only slippers!:eek:
  8. F350MVP

F350MVP Junior Member

Winter Shoes

Hey Snow farmer thanks for the chuckle, I wear Chippawas myself. LOL
  9. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

no shoes used here. i keep thinking i might use them on one of the gravel lots, but haven't taken the time to put them on.
  10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

no shoes sell them on ebay or use them as a paper wieght
  11. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

no shoes i go bare footed.
  12. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I used the shoes on a few drive ways last winter. What i found was that the snow lifted up to the blade and took with it some of the rocks. I think if ur new and dont know how much to keep the blade up it might be a good measuring tool. What I do now is drop the blade then tap it up one or two taps for a gravel driveway.
  13. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I dont use the shoes, but keep them on adjusted up all the way. That way if my cutting edge happens to wear faster than I think and I dont check it, it wont wear into the moldboard.
  14. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

second my plow gets mounted within the next week or two, the shoes come off! i think it scrapes better w/o them
  15. snowblind

snowblind Junior Member

no shoes here i plow pavement and dirt roads a little bumpy on dirt but scraps them clean
  16. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

I hate using shoes. Even when you get them as similar to the blade as you can they still lift the blade up enough to create a film of snow and ice or they are to high and just jingle around while you plow which drives me crazy. I took them off every time I plowed then my dad would see them laying in the garage or in the back of the truck and put them back on without my knowing so halfway through the night Id realize someone put the dang things back on :realmad: So one snowy day they mysteriously caught something in the parking lot and one got completely torn off and the other bent to a right angle:rolleyes: Hu strange things happen when you plow. Anyways now I don't have to worry about it and my dad even comments how clean the parking lots look when I'm done. :D
  17. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

No shoes on any of mine. Gotta get it black!!!!
  18. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

For all of the guys with Fishers going with no shoes give em to me!!!!!!! I use them and we get it "black" all the time using them, you just have to know how to use em!!!!
  19. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I plow my gravel driveway and half a mile of dirt road, so early in the season I plow with the shoes down. Once the ground is truly frozen I move them out of the way for a cleaner job.