1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoes or no Shoes??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bevo916, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Bevo916

Bevo916 Junior Member

Just curious, do you folks use shoes on your plow or not ? IF you do use them, how do you set them up? I know it plows better when you don't have shoes but is this the best set up ?

Thanks
    Bevo916

2. procut

procut Senior Member

In my expirience, shoes are only nessesary when plowing gravel or very un-even pavement. If I am in a situation where I have to put the shoes down, I try to keep them as high as possible thus keeping the blade as close to the surface as possible while still avoiding damage.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

search the site- this has been covered more times than ANY other topic.

4. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

I keep my shoes raised. I only ever use them when i run into a freshly graveled drive. Other than that i push it all. In my contract it states im not responsible for gravel or stone that is pushed into the grass or otherwised displaced. Most people say go ahead and push it. I dont have time to readjust shoes every other drive. Unless it is new and not packed good enough yet i keep em up. They should make automatic shoes that can be adjusted. Dammit i gave away another million dollar idea.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2005
  5. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Just charge them in spring to regrade stone driveway.

6. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Shoes on!! If they are set right, slightly higher than the edge so that they wear down into them there is no difference in performance and it helps the cutting edges to last longer.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I think it's a tie with.
    I have a 1/2 ton can I use a 8.5 plow and do commercial lots I mean really it's the same as a 3/4 ton isn't??:jester:

No shoes, skids, runners, just bear foot! lol

8. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

going bear foot your toes will get cold

9. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I think every week someone starts a new thread on "shoes or no shoes"... And personally, I wear boots with foot warmers.

10. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

I'm on dirt so shoes are on beginning of season 1" below edge .Now with a 100" of snow they are even with the edge , at 150" they are a 1" above the edge.
    On uneven ground there is a difference with shoes on or off, on the crest of a large bump as the edge clears crest it leaves a little each tim If plowed the same way each time the mat builds up just over the crest.
    Also stacking snow at the end of a push, shoe will help the the plow float up not always a good thing.
    Most of you guys are lucky plowing all paved places.

Happy Holidays

100" snow 20"+ on the ground

11. frostservices

frostservices Member

no shoes and I plow mostly on gravel or dirt. Most people wanna see gravel after you plow not snow! I guess if I wanted something to hold the plow up I would make wheels for mine that were big enuff to hold up the plow on unfrozen ground .thats the only time I have probs first snow and last snow I suppose you guys in the south have more thawed ground though. But the little shoe's they put on the plows are not adequate to hold plow up on unfrozen ground just puts a couple nice ruts in it to.
    Seth

12. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Because of Lake Superior all ground under snow is wet and unfozen.The area most be kept plowed,uncovered, till it freezes.Up here I just got a 2" mat on my 1000" driveway(happy). My first plow was Nov 16, any where there is snow here the ground is not frozen and stays that way all winter. It sure would be great to have frozen ground then get snow.
    Loggers up here are plowing several times a day 7 days a week trying to freeze roads and then plowing to keep them froze.

100" snow 20"+ on the ground
    Happy Holidays

13. fordaholic72

fordaholic72 Junior Member

I'm new here, but just wanted to give my two cents. I use a pipe on my plow until there is a good frozen base, so I am not pushing sod and gravel. The pipe works pretty good. I plow very little pavement. All but one of my clients is completely dirt and gravel. I have only had one complaint about gravel in the grass. I had not seen any references to anyone using a pipe, so I thought I would offer my experience with it.

14. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Ford that is something that I never would have thought to use when not plowing pavement.

I keep the shoes on just in case I need them but never use them

15. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Shoes all the time for me. I have drives that are dirt, gravel, concrete and blacktop. I run shoes on my plow all the time.

16. fordaholic72

fordaholic72 Junior Member

If anyone wants pictures of the pipe setup on my plow I can figure out how to post pictures of it or email directly. Post here or email at fordaholic72@i2k.com for pictures.

17. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I have 2+ miles of gravel driveways at my house. If it is wet or rutty the shoes go on. The make a huge difference. Hardly need the trip endge. To rattling to anything, they just slide right over everything. If the ground is level and frozen, the shoes come off.:waving:

18. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

No shoes unless stone

19. JTW

JTW Senior Member

Shoes? If it gets any warmer I will be wearing flip flops. :dizzy: