1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoes or no Shoes??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Up North, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Getting back into plowing for the first time in several years. My account base is going to made up of customers that have blacktop & gravel driveways. I'd like to run with shoes for the gravel drives, but it'd be nice to run with the blade tight to the blacktop drives & lots, therefore possibly having to remove them.

I'm going to be putting a Blizzard 760 plow on my truck, does anyone know if the shoes will adjust enough to where I can accomidate both applications? I know in the past the lowest I could set my shoes were about 1", but that was on our Western plows. Thanks!

Buck

2. bterry

bterry Senior Member

You can adjust shoes on most any plow to be even with the bottom of the cutting edge. The reason you were an inch off on your old western was probably due to someone wearing out the cutting edge with no shoes on. Once it gets too worn, the shoes will be below the cutting edge, even with no shims.

BTW - I don't run with shoes on any of my plows. They get lost and I personally don't think they help much. Besides the fact that you don't get a clean push. I had 3 gravel drives last year, even though I told them they will have gravel in the grass, two of them still complained about it.

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

You can yank your shoes in under an minute, just swap em on and off if you want to run em on gravel

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

dump the shoes :gunsfiring:

5. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I would lose the shoes but if you have to use them then I would try and plan the route so I was not always taking them on and off.

6. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

For more information on the "shoe" issue you might try the search function. You should find at least a couple of other views on this subject.

Bruce

7. Something that seemed to work last winter in northern Wisconsin with sand for soil was taking a length of thick wall plastic pipe and cutting a slit the length of it with a saw. Slip it over the cutting edge of the snowplow for the first few pass on gravel drives. Held in place with bungi cords. After the base was frozen solid go with the straight edge.
    Just a thought .

8. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

RWK,
    Your my hero. Even if it wasn't your idea. Now to find some urethane pipe.

9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I personally kept the washers and pins off my shoes and threw the shoes away. I used to have a gravel lot that I did. I would lower the plow all the way down and then raise it about an inch to plow the lot. That worked pretty good. Then when the rock was froze, I could plow with the balde all the way down.