1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoes Or No Shoes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ptllandscapeIL, Jan 26, 2004.

1. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

alot of my friends on there western plows take off the shoes because they feel it cleans better. I fell personialty that u jsut have to keep ur blade sharpend and even all responed and input would be great

2. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

No shoes for me, I just replace the 50$ cutting edge when needed, I feel the shoes are no good for me.

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Spell check:nod:
    No shoes.:nono:

4. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

only tryed them my first year and found no use. even on gravel just a pain...no shoooos.purplebou

5. Manx

Manx Senior Member

Around here,
    People that run the shoe's are very green, or plow gravel
    You get a much better scrape with out the the shoe's

Cutting edges are cheap

6. ClintSinger

ClintSinger Junior Member

It depends on what type of snow and what type of base that you are plowing, we find that we use the shoes on driveways that are either not paved and not frozen yet or if the customer has cobblestones or pavers they request that we use the shoes.
    we also find that if the shoes are adjusted properly a good scrape can be obtained, we sometimes take the shoes off altogether to really scrape down to base material.
    although we don't consider our experience to be excessive, this will be our 14th year plowing and everyone has their own preferences, use what ever works good for the vehicle,plow and weather conditions in your area.

7. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

No brainer

No shoes

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

no shoes they leave holidays when snowplowing i took them of all plow there good for paper weights

9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

no shoes on mine or any of the other 4 trucks at work.:D :D even in gravel, shoes didnt seem to help much. I would just drive over the snow and compact it down real good. Then i dont have to worry about the plow catching.

10. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Hey we call those "training wheels" in the plowing industry, trust me you won't need them..

my .02 cents worth

11. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

the customer has cobblestones or paver's they request that we use the shoes.

I took mine off for me at the beginning of the season,clintsinger you guys plow pavers? I took a unilock class and they say only to shovel or snow blow the paver's thats what i have my crew do,i have 6 pavers drives a marble,and 3 stamped concrete drives

12. DJL

DJL Senior Member

It seems as if the general consensus is that no one has their shoes on so the plow blade gets as close to the surface as possible. I leave mine on but they can be adjusted so they do not "touch" the ground (simply adjust the washers). That way when/if I do any stone drives I can lower the shoes down and still attempt to use the float feature. Does anyone else do this?

13. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

used shoes my first year and ever since i've gone shoeless...

14. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

None here either. On gravel I just lift the plow up a bit.

-John :cool:

15. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

with that cobblestone drive i would be careful. Alot have said to not use shoes, but on that particular drive i would, less liability if there is damage in the spring. Just find the right height for the shoes to be. I bet those driveways cost a pretty penny.:D :D most likely they asked for you to use shoes for a reason. Might not be a good reason but still, they are to ones paying for your service.

16. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

thats one way to store the shoes(with all the washers keeping em off the ground) but you run a slight risk of catching one and tearing up your blade. Have heard of it happening but not seen it personaly. no shoes for me

17. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

DJL. I do as you do.
    Prior to this year, I was doing mostly commercial (subbing out). Now it's residential. I have the same blade on since 92. Coworkers not using shoes replaced theirs a couple times at least. The little snow left behind on the commercials wasn't an issue, because they got salted. With residentials, people ask about scratching their new sealcoat and concrete so I've left them on but have it at about level to the wear bar. I'll be experimenting this year. Took them off last night to plow an ice rink at the park, that was fun. I've always felt it cleaned fine with them on.

18. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Darn, I guess I am still in training after 27 years of plowing.

19. REED384

REED384 Senior Member

:gunsfiring: AFTER 30 YEARS PLOWING I STILL KEEP THEM ON IN CASE I NEED THEM . SAVED MY BUT A FEW TIMES ON GRAVEL AS I MOW TO AND REALY HATE TO CLEAN ROCKS OUT O F YARDS.

20. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Call be bare foot!!!! And a set of shows are as much as a cutting edge, and alot harder to loose...Rob