1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shoes or no shoes?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by topspd7, Dec 22, 2010.

1. topspd7

topspd7 Junior Member

Hi All, I'm relatively new to the business and I was wondering when I should take the shoes off when plowing or leave them on....I've always left them on as I plow some really bumpy lots and some packed gravel....should I take the shoes off for smooth driveways??? How far off the ground should the blade rest? :confused:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  2. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Hi Topspd7,
    I remember seeing a similar posting just last week or so on this. I think you'll find opinions vary on their use on this forum. Most on here seem to deter their use at all. I think their main intention is gravel, which I do only, and I use them. I prefer not to push gravel around. Mine are set approximately 1/4" to 1/2". The Hiniker manual specifies 1/2". On smooth drives you would want to remove or raise them to get a good scrape.

With all the fancy plows with automated wings, etc., you would think they could have a quick way of enabling & disabling the shoes. But intermittent use is still a manual chore.

Here are a few links for you. You can use the "Search" feature and find more hits on this topic.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=112614
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=112522

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  3. topspd7

topspd7 Junior Member

Thanks a lot !!!!

4. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Except from my manual,
    Adjust the skids at the back of the moldboard according to the surface to be plowed. The bottom of the skids should be about 1/2" below the cutting edge when plowing gravel roads or lots. Skids should be even with the cutting edge on hard surfaces such as asphalt or concrete.