1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoes or no shoes???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TurfPlow, Dec 12, 2010.

1. TurfPlow

TurfPlow Junior Member

Any opinions on using the shoes on the plow or not...I had them on, but it seemed to leave a layer of snow on the asphalt. Once I took them off I got a really good "scrape". I realize that my cutting edge will wear out faster...any other issues...thanks in advance for any advice...
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Shoes are for feet not plows.
  3. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

the plow shoes are designed to keep the blade off the surface you are plowing (ie. gravel, chip seal, pavers.) not intended for use on pavement or concrete as it will leave a thin layer of snow.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

how long do they take to put on/ take off?
  5. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

It only takes a few seconds to pull the snap key out and drop the shoes out. Before you do that, count how many spacer washers are under each shoe mount to save time if you want to put them back on.
  6. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

for me no shoes
  7. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I use them. But I plow only gravel acreages. I'd rather leave a layer of snow base than have a so much gravel to pick out of lawns in the Spring. Mine are set to keep the blade about 1/4-1/2" off the ground. I think gravel is their main purpose.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I always WEAR shoes when I plow
  9. elecblu

elecblu Member

I run the shoes on my v , but i also realize that i don't scrape as clean as possible. I have an '03 plow and still running the original cutting edge. To me the trade off is worth it.
  10. peterng

peterng Senior Member

if you don't need to keep the blade off the ground, then don't use them. A new cutting edge is only $80 from Fisher in these parts, not a concern.

I put them on to push banks back over grass until the ground freezes. They see more use fall/spring. Other than that they are in storage.
  11. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

I found that even using the shoes on a gravel driveway, it still digs in until the ground is frozen. Ive resorted to back dragging on gravel driveways until I have a good base. Other than that, they make for good anchors on my little row boat! haha
  12. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

That's not a bad idea. We often seem to get freezing rain before our first snow which locks the gravel in. I have also experimented with dropping the plow and then applying a little up pressure to take some of the weight off the plow during first snows. I suppose as the season goes on I could remove the shoes. I wish they made a quicker way than removing (as they get iced up), like a swing away position similar to a trailer jack.
  13. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

I used to use the shoes, now I don't use them at all. I do some gravel drives, but mostly asphalt. It's a bit of a pain to switch them off and on. If I am doing something that needs shoes, I just lift the plow up a little bit and push the snow that way. Or I just explain to the customer what is going to happen and most of them prefer to have a clean driveway and will worry about their yard come spring.

If I am headed off into the grass to push piles I just lift the blade up a little bit as well or make sure to have those banks pushed back before the real snow flies.
  14. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

your kidding right??
  15. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Like I tell every bodyshoes, are for your feet not your plow.
  16. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Boots are warmer!
  17. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I hope so. But if your not it takes less than 5 minutes.
  18. fruitcakesa

fruitcakesa Member
    from Vermont

No shoes on my gravel driveway, I like a clean scrape, but they will save your trip spring mounts if you plow a lot. I usually just lift the blade a touch if conditions warrant.
  19. 01lariat

01lariat Member

I bump the blade up.
  20. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Use the PVC pipe trick detailed in several other threads- or GALV pipe... cut to slip over the scraping edge of the plow for gravel/soft dirt.
    Going to try that one this year for my personal drive as it's all dirt- I already scraped away all the gravel over the past 3 winters.