1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shoes or no shoes

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by D.L.Wade, Dec 11, 2010.

1. D.L.Wade

D.L.Wade Junior Member

I have got a 9-2 v plow and wondering everyones thoughts on running shoes? Will it let the cutting edges last longer? Thanks all info is appreciated

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

No shoes (scrapes ground better)
    yes it will let the cutting edge last longer if you run them, but don't.

3. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Is it a good idea to use the shoes if your doing driveways with gravel.
    I have a few 200' plus gravel driveways.

4. BossPlow2010

Just lower the plow and tap the up button twice (not too fast or it'll raise all they way up) then go...

5. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I've had my Boss 9'-2' Boss for 8 years and quit running shoes five years ago...... All my plowing is on gravel Once its frozen no problems

6. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

On my V 7.6 I run the shoes on the outer blades and removed the center one for better scraping, on gravel I do what bossplow 2010 talks about

7. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

No shoes....
    But, save them. They make pretty good anchors for the Jon Boat for Duck hunting.

8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes and yes.My original cutting edge is now app.12 years old and is still in decent shape.I've always run shoes on all my plows and will scrape down to bare blacktop just as good as a plow without them.

9. zjm

zjm Senior Member

I would think on a new plow use them,just set shoes up to let cutting edge wear into the shoes. This way the shoes and plow can wear evenly allowing you to scrape down to asphalt.

10. BossPlow2010

Did your plow come with shoes (unlikely unless you order them) no on uses shoes on v plows.

11. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Yes,came with them,but not on.

12. D.L.Wade

D.L.Wade Junior Member

Thanks guys. I believe I'm gonna try what zjm suggested and run them up and let the cutting edge and shoes wear together and see how it does.

13. elecblu

elecblu Member

I run the shoes on my v , but i also realize that i don't scrape as clean as possible. I have an '03 plow and still running the original cutting edge. to me the trade off is worth it.

14. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

If you use your shims correctly,you most certainly will scrape as clean as possible.Just regular plow maintenance,only takes minutes.

15. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

Never ran shoes the last 13 years, never will, nice clean passes all the way down to the asphalt\concrete and even wear on cutting edge.

16. D.L.Wade

D.L.Wade Junior Member

Snow shoe install

I have got a 9'2 v-plow and I'm wondering what is the proper way to install the shoes. It did have any on it when I got it and I want to install them properly any help would be great. Thanks

17. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

edges are expensive shoes are cheap oriely's is like 17 dollars a shoe edges are 500 bucks save the edges as long as you can

18. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

Do new plows not come with shoes now? Mine always did and we just threw them in the scrap pile, never thought of running them how you guys are... Might be worth trying

19. zjm

zjm Senior Member

I ran my shoes this past storm of 16", it scraped clean every pass, no shoe marks left behind. Shoes do not come with it, but i got him to throw them in as part of deal.I should of pushed for the deflector.

20. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

This question has been asked many times ................ all the guys plowing level parking lots that are paved run without them . Most experenced plowers that spend alot of time off paved lots do use shoes to save the plow in lots of ways beside just the cutting edges . Shoes set up right do a great job . If you are TOTALLY interested "scraping" a paved surface right down to the surface you better take em off................. its that simple . I would love to have some of these guys that dont use them try to follow us up 10 miles of woods roads full of rocks with out them as they would give there cutting edge an experence it has never seen before! Same for people plowing in high range at 20-30 mph to "getter done boys" that would be the perfect reciept for tearing the whole lower lip right off or better yet like a friend did with his new Boss .................. tearing the whole thing right off the front of the truck and ran right over the plow???
    Plowing level parking lots is quite different than plowing "off road".