1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoes or no shoes that is the question.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by fcbob, Mar 3, 2013.

1. fcbob

fcbob Junior Member
    from none

I have an older 8'2 boss V plow. I use it to do the patch of concrete in front of my garage and a 300 ft gravel road that leads to my house. It does a good job on the gravel but on the slab it always leaves snow behind. I was thinking about taking the shoes off but then I think I will just end up tearing up the gravel. Does any run their plows without the shoes? What does this do the blade life?

2. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

Yes....leave them on for the gravel.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Take them off. Once the gravel is frozen it wont come up

4. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I never run shoes. 1st plowing I did and it left snow behind. You can always leave them off when you do the cement and put them back on for the gravel. If the gravels frozen enough it should glide over it or just lower the blade and don't go in float.

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I run shoes on mine... with them adjusted as high as I can. Their just on there for more weight.

I plow mostly paved surfaces but do some gravel as well. Once the gravel is froze it plows just like pavement, just noisier. When it's not froze it's a pita, 3 little shoes aren't going to make your plow float, it sinks in either way. Easiest thing to do for gravel is drop the blade then bump it up a touch putting weight back on the pickup and go. You'll get the feel for it so you don't dig in much but can still get it to scrape pretty well.

6. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

only when its 10+ deep drifty sh!t '' until I get to blacktop. plowing is a lot smoother when the blade is resting on skis . I leave it choked 1'' . skis come off when its opened up .

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Leave the blade up about 2 inches for the first few storms so when you and others drive on it, it creates a base. Once you have a base just drop the plow like you normally work on any paved surface and you will be fine. Typically what I do is leave the blade straight and up a little bit. This way if the blade was angled the one side isn't say 6 inches off the ground and the other is 2 inches off the ground. You will get the most even base that way.