1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoes on Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by lowrider57, Nov 22, 2008.

1. lowrider57

lowrider57 Member

Newbie here with what might sound like a stupid question but only way I am going to learn this business is to ask the brains here,,,what is the reason for the shoes on the plow,,do you really need the shoes? Please if someone could explain what the shoes are for I"d really appreciate an answer thanks....

2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Shoes can be set from zero to 5" or so..........the idea is if you are on uneven ground or soft ground or ground that can easily be damaged with the cutting edge of the plow .......you can set the shoes down instead of running with the cutting edge right on the ground............

With that said, most guys don't run'm......they put the plow right on the ground.

They do make great boat anchors and they are nice to tie balloons to and set in the yard for all types of occasions.......and they rust really nice.............but not much other than that.

Hope that helps

3. lowrider57

lowrider57 Member

Thank you for fast response,,,,

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

So if you don't want the cutting edge to touch the ground use shoes, that's all there is to it.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Do any of the "newbies" know how to use the search feature or can they not read the other posts about shoes????

6. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Hi Hydro...I am a relative newbie and I didn't know anything about the search feature until someone else mentioned it to me. Now I know! Thanks to you, now he knows!

Lowrider, probably 90% of the questions you may have have been a topic previously. If you use the search, you may save yourself some time!

They also make GREAT paperweights!

7. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

no shoes,no shoes. Just keep one in the cab so you can bonk a would be robber at 2am!:dizzy: ;) Seriously, they are good for stone driveways and thats pretty much it. Keeps the blade from diggin in. However if the driveway isnt frozen the shoes will dig in instead of the plow. Asphalt no shoes. Stone just keep adjusting the plow as you go.
    Have fun!:salute:

8. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Mine came installed on my new plow. they are set above the cutting edge actually rides below the shoes, and everytime I have my plow on I forget to take them off !

9. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

Depends on the design of the shoes. I've seen some that look like they'd sink right in. The Boss ones do sink a little bit, but they float along enough so that it keeps the cutting edge up and out of it. Once everything freezes up, the shoes come off.

For flat surfaces - or mostly flat - that's fine, but if there's a slope to the surface or if it is a properly constructed gravel road it's pretty easy to change the grading, especially the first few times through each season.

10. Matt Hart

Matt Hart Junior Member

Just purchased mine, they told me no one runs shoes and they would be $40.00 extra for each one.

I was like well, they are too much work anyway for another 120.00

11. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i like my shoes.
    good for coming off almost any uneven surface (like the drop off on the edges of some drives) but i have also dropped them before on a gravel road that hadnt been plowed in a few storm. The bottom couple inches or so was ice from melt and re freeze so i ran the shoes low and blade high to scrape some off and see what was what. Helped keep the blade from tripping as much.

12. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

hahahahahah we have to start somewhere

13. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

:confused: $40 + $40 = $80 or $40 x 2 =$80. all the plows i have seen only have two places for shoes. i know i didn't graduate but the last time i checked the way I have it figured it was the way it was suposed to be. am i wrong?:jester:

14. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Thought the same thing. I'm assuming he runs a v-blade (some of which have a center shoe, if I recall correctly).

Anyway, I only run shoes on dirt/gravel drives and lots. As others mentioned, they keep the blade from digging in too bad. As for pavement and concrete, take 'em off, it'll allow the blade to scrape everything off and leave a nice clean surface.

15. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

It's 3 for the Boss V, so those mathematicals make sense to me!

16. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

you really dont need shoes so if you're on a tight budget or just dont want to waste the funds, i'd suggest not to invest in them. i have 6 plows and dont run shoes on any of them.

17. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

As you can read from most of the replies most do not use them, as they are intended to keep the blade from digging in especially on soft ground or on stone driveways. I happen to use mine, as I have a very long stone/gravel driveway -and they do help me in my application. As has been said if you opt to not use them, -or don't have them, you can simply feather your plow blade up a bit. Hope this helps you!

18. Matt Hart

Matt Hart Junior Member

Yes, sorry it is a V I run.

As for the Feathering of the plow blade up, this takes some practice. I ran shoes when I plowed before but ended up taking them off half way through the season. This year obveously I do not have them. So I sat in my driveway for a bit practicing the feathering thing to try to get it right.

I am sure wont take too long, but since it had been a couple years for me, and I wanted to play with my new toy I did not mind :p

19. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

I got shoes but the main issue I have with them is I have no Idea what size laces to get for them, The manual is useless laces are not even listed in the parts layout

20. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

If you have to back drag any thing on soft gravel, you better take them off before doing it.
    My Meyers shoes really dig in going backwards tearing up the ground and it leaves the snow where it was. Taking them off and on gets old real fast.