1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoes....on or off?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by charlg, Oct 5, 2007.

1. charlg

charlg Member

I plow about 20 driveways....a lot of backdragging. Should I use shoes or take them off?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Take them off if they are not gravel.
    Then take them off after the ground is frozen

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

But my feet get so cold;)

Didn't we do this last year?:p

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Shoes are useless even in gravel. Take them off and save some weight.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I like these seems to work best!:D

SLIPPERS (2) (Small).jpg

6. earl964

earl964 Member

I have never used them I have three sets of them sitting on a shelf in the shed

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The slippers or the shoes. I'm confused.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'm sure he means the shoes, everyone knows you keep slippers in the truck

9. earl964

earl964 Member

The shoes are in the shed . I have plowed in my slippers before

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Sorry but plow trucks and slippers just dont go together,lol Thats like driving a VW Bug and wearing a cowboy hat.:dizzy:

I have never used shoes on the plows, take em' off and sell em' on e-bay.

11. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

I use shoes AND SOCKS.
    i only use shoes on the plow though.
    even with cutting edge on tar. saves grass a little on the sides of drives? i dunno. but im making the effort by using the shoes.
    Gravel? space shoes slightly lower than cutting edge. Does it really work so you dont dig into the gravel. I dunno. but im making the effort by spacing the shoes down.
    IM DOING MY PART. whether it works or not or maybe works a little?
    when the grounds frozen not so much a concern. just leave em slightly above the cutting edge all the time. If by chance it starts too dig in to lawn or gravel the shoes may keep in from becoming a grader.

backdragging. extra weight on the plow added by the shoes isnt a bad thing. long as the weight is on the blade, not all on the shoes.

Dont try too use slippers. the spacers dont work for slippers/flip flops and you have to buy a new set after each drive. Your wifes high heels will dig in more than the cutting edge. counter productive. If going with foot wear use the shoes.

:salute:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Or driving a Ford with a #3 sticker

13. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Mine have never left my room since i brought the plow home, they make great converstion pieces when people are in my room and wonder wtf they are!! lol

14. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I suggest using shoes for smooth parking lots and heavy use...They will increase the life of the base angle drastically....That is a very expensive piece to replace when it wears down far enough. So I say try to prevent the wear at all cost.. The shoes just need to be set right...They were designed on the blade for a reason....and by the way...I call them SKI's...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

No shoes just a light weight hiking bootprsport

I have to disagree. lol
    You want to scrape lots clean.
    This will cut back on the amount of chemicals you will need.
    Which is a cost savings.
    Cutting edges are cheep for our plows.
    A set of "ski's costs how much?
    Plus a lot of plow MFG's only offer "skis" as an option.

The cost of one lawsuit will buy you many new edges.
    The price to fix your equipment should be factored in your price of doing business

My clients want it clean, not leave little behind to be tracked into there business or turn into ice They too appreciate lower chemical costs and the environment appreciates it too.

16. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

That's what bolt on cutting edges are for.....on a parking lot, you would have the shoes up anyway because you want to scrape clean, and unless the shoes are set below the cutting edge, they are pointless as the blade clears the snow in front of them. On a parking lot, or any paved area, you want all the pressure you can get on that edge to scrap cleanly.....JMO

17. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Yes but when the ski's , cutting edge, and base angle wear at the same time...everything will last alot longer and your still scraping the pavement., And then when your base angle has some wear to it..Without ski's your next cutting edge will wear twice as fast to the base angle...because some of the base angle is already gone. So, The cutting edge and ski's will prolong the life of the blade greatly...Once they get into the groove and wear together...It's still gonna scrape...

18. scot43

scot43 Junior Member

put a set of the carbide's on the edges and there is no need for shoes.

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have had carbide edges before but what does that have to do with shoes? Unless your talking about using shoes for extra wear.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  20. scot43

scot43 Junior Member

i have never run shoes in 25+ years. I always run a ridge of carbide on each end of the cutting edge to mitigate wear. If I plow anything gravel, i just adjust the height from the controller..