1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoes On or Off?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CK82, Dec 6, 2005.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I have been leaving a hard 1/4inch hard pack where the sidewalk crosses the driveway and at the end. From what I've read and heard I should remove the shoes completely, right now they are raised as far as possible. The plow edge catches on certain raised cracks and suck anyways so I think they should go and I only plow a small section with gravel that I can raise the plow an inch. So what do you guys think?

Chris

2. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I plowed two storms with shoes. Im taking the sneakers off next storm to see how it goes. I only have one lot that im leary about taking them off for, only because the lot is cracked to heck!

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Take them off and throw them in the scrap metal bin at the dump. :drinkup:

4. Richard Slayton

Richard Slayton Junior Member

I have never plowed with any shoes on. I like a nice clean lot and it just seems to leave to much with them.

5. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I plow barefoot all the time. The only time you need shoes is when doing gravel roads and gravel driveways.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Don't your feet get cold?:waving:

7. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

The plow was designed to have the shoes on. The weight on your plow edge is exponentially dropped by moving that fulcrum forward. Without them, you will go through 1-2 plow edges a season depending on your work load.

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I hope so....:nod: That means I made BOOKOOOpayup.
    The shoes are for loose gravel My customers pay for snow removal.
    If you leave some snow behind it looks sloppy and the potential for a slip and fall are greatly increased if you use the shoes and leave an 1/4 inch of snow behind. I can afford a lot of cutting edges compared to a law suite.

9. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i have started to use my shoes again becuase i am tired of bying new ecutting edges i now start my shoes off one washer hire than the edge and let the edge wear in to the shoe it works pretty well

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Dump the shoes if your hitting cracks try plowing the other way.