1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shoes on or off

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by shawn gravely, Jan 31, 2012.

1. shawn gravely

shawn gravely Junior Member

Hey guy's gotta another question for you. some people tell me they plow with the shoes on and then some say that'.s the first thing they would take off. what is the plus and minus
    of this? thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well some guys like the feel of bare feet on the brake petal,I like slippers myself when plowing.

3. Top_Notch

Top_Notch Junior Member

I'm new to this too, but it seems to me that shoes off would wear out the cutting edge considerably faster. Also I think the shoes would help on a gravel road. They are put on most plows for a reason right???

4. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

shoes are now "an accessory" on The Boss

5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I never ran shoes I like all the weight to be on the edge unless Im on gravel
    Do this if you have a parking lot do half with shoes on and other half with them off Then you pick which way you want them

7. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

No shoes. I like a clean scraped look

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

i wear boots never know when you will need to walk in the deep snow to shovel prsport :laughing:

on the serious side no shoe saves salt...making a easy to remove gravel guard for the stone driveway

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Once again and again-------adjust your shoes correctly and you will scrape just as good as without them.

10. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

Yes that is very true, i have my shoes adjusted just right and it scrapes perfectly. I can still just drop the blade on a gravel lot and go without digging the cutting edge in

11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I don't like shoes, if it's soft I just pick the plow up a hair.

12. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

*pedal it bugged me :salute:

13. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

I have to wear shoes my feet get cold.

most plows dont come with shoes any more. I know that last couple we bought didn't come with shoes. but we don't use them if it is soft or loose gravel we just lift the plow up a little.

14. DeggyD

DeggyD Junior Member

The plow I boughtdidn't come with shoes. Heck, it didnt even have a cutting edge! (used) Lol. I haven't run with shoes yet. I find that on the first snow of the season, when I get the snow onto the grass, I'll just peel that top layer of sod right away so I don't have to worry about it for the rest of the year. It'll grow back....right?

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I leave the shoes on my V plow, their adjusted all the way up so the only thing their doing is adding weight.

My straight blade doesn't have shoes.

The 4 or however many there are left over from my unimount go with the 5 or 6 of them floating around the farm. Their good for keeping light objects from being blown away.

16. RonWin

RonWin Senior Member

definately. shoes only for gravel

17. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

No shoes. I just lift it a little for gravel. And they make great door stops or dook ends. I just got a drive that is 350' because the last
    Guy had shoes and left two trenches all the way down. The drive and didn't fix it when it warmed up just left them. So no to shoes.

I love my Z

18. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

this would be a moot point if the plow makers would catch on and just put
    casters on their plows instead of the shoes they do.

you could leave them on and still not worry about digging up soft gravel driveways
    and such

19. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

You cannot backdrag with casters. They are not effective on pickup plows.

20. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

:laughing:live life on the edge you get a better job ussmileyflag..