1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoes not keeping blade off ground?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by valleyviewlawns, Dec 27, 2012.

1. valleyviewlawns

valleyviewlawns Member
    from Montana

Is there something I am doing wrong, or do these things get so wore down that they don't keep the blade out of the gravel? I have all the shims/washers at the bottom of the plow so the shoes are as low as they can get. I have some lots and roads that need to have the shoes down, but they aren't working. I have a Meyer Max 8.5' poly plow on a 94 Chevy K2500. The truck is not lifted, but I cranked up the torsion bars for an extra inch of clearance with the plow up, but I wouldn't think that would affect the shoes.

2. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

need pixys Thumbs Up

3. valleyviewlawns

valleyviewlawns Member
    from Montana

Any particular angles I should shoot from?

4. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

low and on the side

shoes do wear you may need new ones

5. Spool it up

so , whats your problem . ground not frozen yet? or are you running on moldboard as a cutting edge ?

6. valleyviewlawns

valleyviewlawns Member
    from Montana

The ground is frozen but I have a county RID contract and will have to pay for regrading and gravel if I tear up the roads. Just want to be safe, effective and fast. Shoes need to be working properly.

7. valleyviewlawns

valleyviewlawns Member
    from Montana

Plus one of our storage unit lots is all unpacked road mix on an uneven ground. Would save a lot of time with the shoes on that one. Most have well packed gravel that is even and not mounded up to the doors.

8. Spool it up

if you were warned about regrading in the contract , did you price for that accordingly. fuel,equip. manpower + PROFIT . After all ,were here to make a profit ,

has to be a contract being your plowing municipal, county or state hiway . correct ?

are you sure your being properly compensated ?

shoes should be the last thing on your mind

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  9. valleyviewlawns

valleyviewlawns Member
    from Montana

Was doing bank owned property maintenance, told them to take a hike after prices went down, started lawn and property care on HOA's, residential, commercial, government contracts, and am plowing in the winter to stay busy and keep customers happy. We bill out at $70-$80/hour which is the going rate here. Most calls come from people disgusted with the old timers that stretch themselves too thin and can't keep up with the work. Quality work, dependable service, and a customer oriented attitude does wonders around here for the growth of our business. This last contract came from one of the old timers over-billing. Complacency creates opportunities.

10. Spool it up

back to the shoes ... if you damage road grade , do you have the resources and are you capable of repairing the roads?

11. valleyviewlawns

valleyviewlawns Member
    from Montana

Yes. That is what reserve funds and friends with graders are for. I have plenty of plow experience to keep from tearing things up but I just want to set the plow down on the shoes and go. They are nice roads, just want to keep them that way.

12. Spool it up

in other words , your money . thought so . these friends with these graders . what would they charge an hour ? what type/size of stone or modified would these friends be regrading ?
    How many ton you figure to pull original grade ? what are we talking here maybe a less than 7% ? Im sure there would be a loader and tri-axles included in this small project. loading and hauling windrowed milling isnt easy..

13. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like shoes were working well for you before and you're just trying to get back to that condition. Is that a correct assessment? If so, I don't see why you shouldn't fix your shoes and enjoy what has always worked for your situation.

14. Spool it up

sounds like he not only lost his shoes ,he may be losing his shirt along with them .

15. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

16. valleyviewlawns

valleyviewlawns Member
    from Montana

Sounds like "Spool It Up" needs to find a woman so he can stay on topic. At no point in this thread did I say I had won the lottery and now own a road construction business. Stay focused, or find another thread to hi-jack.

17. valleyviewlawns

valleyviewlawns Member
    from Montana

This is a new plow to us so I don't know if it has ever worked. I will get some pictures posted.

18. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Look at what White Gardens posted. The pipe over the cutting edge may be the trick until you get a good hard packed base.

19. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

If you are doing a lot of miles and want to use the pipe, then I'd suggest finding the strongest steel pipe you can find. Not sure if the standard pipe would hold up very long.

20. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

In that case, it might be worth considering the pipe alternative as suggested by a few others above. There are numerous good threads with photos, instructions, and tips. Search the site for gravel guard or yard guard.