1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoes Interchangeable between brands?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Dodge DeBoulet, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Dodge DeBoulet

Dodge DeBoulet Junior Member

I'll be plowing a gravel access road and driveway this winter, and I understand I should have shoes on my plow (9.2 power V) for this application. Are shoes pretty much interchangeable across plow brands? I see a lot listed on e-Bay and other online sites that have " Western Meyer Boss Fisher Curtis Hiniker" in the item name, but when you look at the actual item description it doesn't state which plow brands they're compatible with.

Thanks from a rank plow newbie :)
  2. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Some have different diameter pins but as long as the pins are the same diameter then they will work. And the shoes don't really help a whole lot if the gravel is not frozen ... they will just dig trenches and you will still plow up the gravel into a big pile ... so keep an eye. I do use the shoes at the beginning of the year as they will help a little at times but I also try to back-drag as much as possible to get a base established. If you're plowing relatively short and level areas then you may be able to just bump the blade up an inch or so to stay out of the gravel until you get a base established. Hopefully we get some frost in the ground before the pushing starts this year.
  3. Dodge DeBoulet

Thanks for the info, Mopard, and I appreciate the advice. I'll also be plowing a paved driveway at my residence and understand that shoes will help prevent me from digging up the lawn, at least early in the snow season.

It's looking like frozen ground may still be a way off for us in coastal Maine . . . it's in the low 60s today and has only dipped below freezing once or twice so far.
  4. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Stake the freakin driveway...
    U have a boss plow? Drop the blade, Hit up twice and plow away. If you want to leave 1/2" on you driveway get shows. If not do what i just told you...

Shoes off for me!
  5. Dodge DeBoulet

Thanks for your input.