1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoes don't sit flat on the ground ???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Sno4U, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I have a Western 8.6ft MVP Ultra mount.
    Last Spring I put new shoes and new cutting edges on the plow.
    Well this year I noticed the shoes don't sit flat on the ground. They are angled so that they run on the back of the roundness of the shoe.
    I had some one watch the shoes as the plow moves and the shoe tends to spin around (its a round mushroom type "float" - of course).
    My thought is its designed to do this so the shoe wears evenly.
    Am I correct in my assumption or is something bent on the trip edge, etc.?
    Also, I've had a severe problem which is that the stem on the shoe is so long that when the trip edge tripped it has punched holes in the moldboard on both sides.
    These are heavy duty floats that I bought from a Western dealer. They are supposed to be the right ones, and I bought an after market from a local farm store and it was the same length, etc.
    What's goin' on?
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Do the cutting edges set flat on the ground all the way across the edges with the wings in all positions (scoop and Vee)?

Did you run shoes on it before? If so, how were they wore?
  3. Wieckster

Wieckster Senior Member

take the shoes off I never ran them with my MVP just my thoughts
  4. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Yup, I ran floats on it since new.
    Last Spring I put on new edges, the new swiper pad in the center b/c it was gone along w/ the bracket being 1/2 gone, and 2 new floats. The floats should have been replaced long b/f I did b/c 1 was gone all together and the other, only the stem was left in the bracket/mount!
    Duh!! I should have known better!
    But anyhow now, I'm having problems. I've always had straight blades b/f this and don't know whats really correct on this blade. I do know however that the floats are NOT supposed to punch thru the back of the moldboard!
    I don't recall or never really noticed if the shoes sat flat on the ground on the old ones.
    The plow was installed by the dealer and I know its at it's correct height, etc.
    The only thing I can think of is, it looks like the front center of the edges are wearing faster than the outer parts. This could be due to the fact that I'm now carrying a v box salter w/ 1.5 yards of salt when plowing, making the back lower which makes the front pitch down more. But is that enough to throw everything off like it appears to be? :dizzy::dizzy::confused::confused:
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How about a couple good pics? Maybe we can see something that your not seeing...
  6. Mowman62531

Mowman62531 Member

It almost sounds like you need to re-adjust your blade to make the frame parallel to the ground again.
  7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Well your 1st problem is you have the wrong shoes. There are special shortys for the MVP. You dealer should have sold them vs the standard shoe. BTW yes the shoes are suppost to rotate so they wear evenly.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The exact reason I posted about pics..
  9. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I hate to admit it but I'm an idiot when it comes to posting pics. I don't know how.
    I didn't know there where shorty floats available for that plow!??
    I wish the dealership that sold me the plow and replacement floats was still in business they'd be getting me 2 new 1/2's of the moldboard that now has holes in it!
    I can just take these floats and shorten them and redrill holes in the stems.
    I'll check the A-frame to see if its level.
    ..and maybe ask the wife if she can help me post a pic-she does great at programming the VCR/DVD player! LOL ...and we do have a digital camera.
    Thanks for the help-much appreciated.