1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoe Height

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by roberto65, Nov 28, 2006.

1. roberto65

roberto65 Junior Member

Any recomendations on shoe height in relationship to the blade. I have paved and gravel surfaces to plow with some back dragging. Thanks.
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

After the ground freezes, Adjust them in the corner of your shop.

when you are going to plow the gravel adjust them so the cutting edge is just up off of the ground. Other wise lower the blade all of the way down and scrape it to pavement
  3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I keep mine at about ground height, usually in front of a door. They work surprisingly well.

Actually, I've run both with and without plow shoes and really have no preference. I do think that the blade scrapes better without, but since I salt everything, anything left on the parking lot gets melted.
  4. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

I just got done with 1.5 miles gravel road with my MVP Plus. Still learning the best way to operate this new rig. We had good hard frozen road with 12" of powder. Did not have to chain up.

I have tried to get this V plow set up correctly, looked good on asphalt, but even with shoes on (adjusted to give half an inch freeboard) I feel we took too much gravel off.

If you figure out how to adjust to keep gravel on the road, let me know! With my old straight blade I would just shorten the lift chains. That method throws the geometry of my V plow off.

BTW - looks like you boys up north got most of this storm. I'll bet Rabbit Ears had enough to keep busy. How'd it work out at the bottom of the pass?
  5. roberto65

roberto65 Junior Member

We got about 7 Monday night and around 15" tues in town a lot more up on the pass.
  6. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

Wound up with about 18" total here on the homestead. All nice light powder. Got her all pushed back.
    My son, still Highway Dept, says he got over 2 feet on his road.
    Now looking at sub-zero temps. Seems a lot like my first winter here in the hills, horses are woolled up but good. Lord willing, I got enough wood cut!

As for the shoes, I got mine set to raise the blade as much as possible. If I cut gravel - so be it.