1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoe Adjustment...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SlimJim Z71, Nov 19, 2000.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Just curious as to where you guys set the shoes on your plows? Right now I have them set just barely above the cutting edge (so the cutting edge is touching, but the shoes are not.) My owners manual says to set them 1/4" to 1/2" off the ground for hard surfaces, and 1" to 2" off the ground for gravel or loose surfaces.

What have you found to work best? Thanks again...

-Tim

2. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i do not use them on any of my trucks

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I set mine in the back of the garage, sometimes I set em in front of the door so the wind wont blow it shut... ;)

4. MJ

MJ Senior Member

Actually, I'm glad you asked that question. I just bought a new Fischer this year. I've never plowed or owned one before. I've never noticed these on a plow before and have been trying to figure out the best use for them. Now I know they make a good door stop. Thanks. The best I could figure was to keep the blade from damaging concrete/pavement.

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I probably have enough plow shoes to fill the bed of a pick up. I have one truck that carries them to use on a gravel drive.

Shoes don't really do all that much good, even on gravel.

Geoff

6. SlimJim Z71

Millions of people out of work, and we have a room full of comedians. LOL.

So basically what you all are saying, they really don't serve a purpose?

-Tim

7. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I'm with Geoff I just gave away all but a couple,so as to where to set them,on your mantle might be nice.Might have them bronzed and make candle holders.

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I to have mnay pair of shoes, all collecting dust. I have not found many uses on the plow for them, they really dont work. John Allin has a great shoe story that he may share some day.
    Of course since we started using alternative material cutting edges, the need for shoes is completely gone for all surfaces. On gravel they skim right over with out narry a hiccup. And on asphalt they clean like a squeegee.
    The problem is most surfaces are not flat, they have peaks and valleys, so with the shoes on each end, the cutting edge will still hit something in the middle. Also in loose stone or gravel, the shoes will dig in ,and the edge will still carve up whatever it is that you are plowing.
    Dino

9. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

Have to admit ours are still on. Not that they seem to do anything, we just haven't taken them off.

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I use mine for door stops,on the fisher,if they are on and you trip something hard,they will dent the moldboard and put a forward bulge in it.

11. SlimJim Z71

Well then... I don't want and dents, and I could use a door stop or two, so those puppies are commin off.

Thanks.

-Tim

12. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

We use ours to keep the door open or sometimes as large paper weights, I guess if you have alot of gravel lots or dirt driveways they might do some good. Just My Two Cents

13. fivestr19

fivestr19 Junior Member

Im With Digger, Looks like i just found a x-mas present for my mom.

14. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

On our Boss Plows, we always leave the centre shoe on for two reasons. First, I believe it helps keep the cheap rubber centre deflector from ejecting, and secondly, I find the plow nose dives too much without the additional floatation when in the vee mode. It is a PIA when in scoop mode though while going through a dip.

Ya, the side shoes make good practice projects for those wanting to learn how to weld - build em up! I have lots of near-to-new built-up shoes to.

15. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Shoes, shoes... we don't need no stinkin' shoes !!!

Take 'em off, you'll a cleaner and better job. You may also consider a polyurethane edge, I know I am considering it.

Got a price and lead time from Dino already!!!

16. CCLC

CCLC Member

We take them all off. We get cleaner lots and drives with out them and you don't have to adjust them as your cutting edge wears down. Cutting edges are $40-$50 so no big deal when they wear out a little faster. I agree with Slimjimz71, you must use them for gravel lots or drives. Keeps you from coming back in the spring and cleaning up a big pile of gravel.