1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoddy Welding

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Fourbycb, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I have a brand new western that has been in use for 3 weeks and today I found that the plate welded to the A frame on the ultra mount for the chain lift has broken at the welds on one side upon closer inspection I have noticed that the weld on the plate piece did not even make contact with the A frame I have been a loyal western user for 19 years and this has been the first case I have seen of piss poor workman ship which has me upset that Western could put there name on this. I have heard of other people having problems with Western other brands of plows what ever happen to people taking pride in there workman ship instead of just showing up to collect a paycheck
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The reports of poor workmanship on Douglas Dynamics plows and equipment continue to pile up. It's very discouraging.

Let us know if your dealer said you "abused" the plow.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  3. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Yeah...I can hear it now..same as I've heard, "abuse."

I've had to take mount cartons back because of really horrible welds. Welds my 8 week old so could of done better with.

I've see demo models at different dealers with gnarly undercut and pure slop welds. DD has really really gone to hell in a handbasket.

Its like they hired fast food workers and trained them how to pull the trigger. "Golly gee this is WAY harder than makin a batch of fries..."

Western. You suck.:realmad:
  4. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I'd love to see a picture of this if you could post one.

The bigger a company gets, or, god forbid, if it goes public, the more about money and quarterly projections and the less about their product they become.

In hooking up my plow to my new truck, a 2009 chevy, I looked on the GM upfitter site and found that GM makes the harness so it has all the wires for the lights in one spot so aftermarket companies (like plow manufacturers) can make a harnesses that tap right into it without splicing wires. I called western to find out what part I needed to order to connect like this and they said they don't make one, and they have no intention of making one. I complained that I basically need to use a harness made for a different truck and an adapter, and splice into my parking and turn signals and that that was very frustrating when the truck was designed especially to make it easy to connect. The guy on the line basically made no apologies and basically made it clear, again that this harness was not available and in never planned to be made... even though this is basically one of the three most popular platforms for their products to be connected to.

I'm considering making my own.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing new there. Wait until the bottoms tear out of the receiver pockets or the lift tower snaps off. Those are always fun. Can't short chain it when there's nothing to chain to or it falls off the truck entirely. Had to drag the last onto a trailer to get it back for repairs.

Welds need to be inspected on all new or replacement DD components religiously before installation. :nono:
  6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I had the same issue with my new ultra mount. The weld broke on the chain point on the a frame also. I also had to have the manifold replace due to contamination of metal shavings. All in the first 3 months of buy a brand new plow. :gunsfiring: :angry:
  7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I'm a welder by trade, it is very sad the quality of some of the welds. But like any corporation work faster and pay people less. A contractor I know had a i srping fly off the weld tore out of the quad, like fourbycb said no penetration on one of the pieces. MY welding teacher always saId you better learn how to weld there is enough horses*** welders in the trade. Plus it takes almost the same time to but a googd bead down as a bad one.
  8. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I took it to the dealer and they re welded the plate to the A frame and said nothing about abuse other than it was a crappy weld job photos below

A frame 1.jpg
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

They should be replacing the piece for you.