1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shocks

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SawHoss, May 4, 2009.

1. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

I have a 2006 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.6L Duramax, and Im looking for any input on which type of front shocks to get. The ones I currently have are the stock shocks, and they are leaking. Any input would be great.

2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I put on Monroe Magnums...I 'm happy with them !!!!!

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Search with the keywords "Bilstein" "KYB" or "Edelbrock" here in the Chevy truck section. You'll find about a dozen threads discussing shock choices.

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Bilstein 5100's are by far the best shocks money can buy. PM me and I'll give you a link to a place I do business with.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I called AutoZone about shocks today. They carry Gabriel, no KYB shocks. The parts guy acknowledged that KYB are the best. Carquest carries them around here.

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

No offense, but seriously? You really are taking advise from an Auto Zone employee? Especially one that apparantly only had the ability to compare 2 shocks?

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I take very very little advice from Autozone guys. I actually asked this one if he was asleep while talking to him. :sleeping: Take advice from Napa guys sometimes.

What I was trying to say is that the KYBs have a good reputation. And I did respect him for agreeing the competitor has a better product.

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Sorry I misread, I thought it said AND kyb, not NO kyb ;)

9. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Ive had bilsteins on for about 2.5 years and am very happy with them. There is a very noticeable difference in ride from the old stockers.

10. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

When you say a 'noticealbe difference' what do you mean by that? Does the truck seem to handle better? Ride a little smoother? Carry the load of the plow a little better (even though thats mostly done by the torsion bars)? I have been leaning towards the bilsteins, so any extra info you have on your experience with them would be much appreciated.

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Go over to the dieselplace and do a search on Bilstein 5100 and you'll find as many threads on the topic you can read. A vendor there takes care of members pretty good. Let me know and I'll set you up with him ;)