1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shocks

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by k&j Landscaping, May 14, 2010.

1. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

Wanna change out shocks on truck without killing my checkbook. Still have oem on there with 5 years of tough work. Truck seems not as stiff anymore. Any suggestions. Looking at Monroe gas magnums. Do turn torsion bars up in winter but back down in the spring so maybe something with a little more travel in them? What does anyone suggest?

2. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

I think you would be very happy with the Monroe gas magnums. They seem to be about as good a shock as you can get, unless you spend the big bucks.

3. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

25 years of monroe shocks on my trucks, great value, durable, long lasting shocks!

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Bilstien 5100s. Cost about $70 a piece but they have extra travel and very much worth it.

5. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I have the same question. '03 GMC 1500 Z71. I just purchased Ranchos RS5000 shocks. I have plans to add a Western HTS plow this fall. Any comments on Ranchos? Sorry, don't mean to hi-jack your thread.

6. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I just had the Monroe Gas Magnums put on my 98 K3500 and I really like them.

7. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

I had Sears put on the Monroe Sensa-tracs on my 04 2500HD and I love them. Ride quality is much better than stock. Total cost with free install was $260 including tax. Good luck finding some. :mechanic:

8. jimz2500

jimz2500 Member

Pro comp ES9000s ... lifetime warranty ... I live near summit racing so warranty swapping is ez.

9. Outty330

Outty330 Member

Ive had the Rancho RS5000's on my 99 1500 Z71 for 6 months with no complaints so far.

10. k&j Landscaping

Any of you guys out there run bilstein hd shocks? So many to choose from getting confused. Help.

11. Troy5061

Troy5061 Member

I just put four KYB shocks from carquest on mine, rides great! Plus they were only $30ea my cost.

12. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

Yes, exactly what you said.

13. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

bilstien 5100s or the hds. depends on if ur tbars are cranked. and if u have bags in the back or any type of lift.

14. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

I was told the gas-magnums were a little more stout than the sensa-tracs. I installed them on our '02 silverado at work and they seem fine.

15. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

the gas magnums are $40/each- didn't know the sensa-tracs were that much more expensive.

16. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

I'm sure Sears didn't "hook me up" with any deals. I just thought the free install was nice. But I guess nothing is free in this world. I'm sure the price of the shocks were jacked up a little.

17. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

"free" install is nice. it's tough to jack everything up and fit them under there. especially without the right equipment.

18. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I run the Bilstein HD shocks on my 98 K1500 and they are a very stout shock. I've had mine on for probably close to 10 years and they still feel good. I highly recommend them. They are a little pricy though.

I was going to go with these on my 98 K3500 but at the time, I just didn't have the money so I went with the Monroe gas magnums. Time will tell how they hold up.

Wayne

19. k&j Landscaping

anybody running the kyb monomax shocks?