1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shocks Need To Be Replaced, Need Oppinions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mike 97 SS, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

OK, i want some oppinions from the guys who know their stuff on here. I want to put new shocks on my truck front and back and i want some oppinions on what i should get. One front shock is blown out, i see fluid on it and the truck is very bouncy on the highway in the front. I figure ill change both front and back since all 4 are original. Its a 1992 Chevy 1500 series pickup, regular cab, shortbed, 350 motor, automatic with a 7 1/2ft Western uni mount pro plow. I use the truck to drive back and forth to work and it will be used for plowing. I was wondering if i should get something heavy duty, or just put back what was there when the truck was new, like OEM parts. I dont want the truck to ride extremely hard though by putting in extra heavy duty front shocks if there is such a thing. I dont think heavy duty front shocks will help hold the frontend up any higher anyway when plow is raised, correct? Only the torsion bars hold frontend up i think. Price is not a concern, i just want good parts and still keep that nice Chevy ride if i can. Please give me some oppinions, i wanna replace them this upcoming week all in one shot. Thanks in advance for the help, Mike

2. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Mike I would put this in the Chevy forum you will more responces. You are correct about the shocks not holding weight, they just reduce the bounce more like a damper.

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I've heard that Bilstein HD's are really good shocks. They're supposed to ride really well, as well as handle the load. But honestly, they are expensive. I just got some Monroe's and I'm happy with them so far.

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

OK, ill post up in Chevy forum too, thanks for the replies guys. Keep em coming. When you say expensive, how much each roughly?? 90PLOW, where are you located in NJ? Mike

5. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Im right by you im in randolph basically your neighbor haha.

6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

HAHA, yea im in East Hanover, right off River Road. Maybe you have seen me around, i have a bright red 97 Camaro SS besides this truck. Mike

7. SlimJim Z71

I think those Bilsteins will run you between $50-$60 each.

8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Thats not bad, not bad at all. Last week i called a different parts store and was quoted $69 each for some sort of Heavy Duty AC Delco shocks, supposed to be better and stronger than originals. My brother told me not to put such heavy duty shocks cause it will ride bad. That is why im posting here b4 i buy anything. I appreciate the help so far, i love this site! Mike

9. SlimJim Z71

I've found that "Heavy Duty" doesn't necessarilly mean a harder ride. And being a mechanic, I wouldn't pay $69 for AC Delco shocks (come to think of it, I didn't even know AC Delco made shocks.)

The Edelbrock IAS shocks are nice... if you want to spend the money. I think they were about $75 each for my Cherokee. They have a valve inside them the opens on harder bumps to soften the blow, and it remains closed around corners to improve handling. They were very nice, but I didn't want to spend that much again.

10. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yea that is what they told me at the parts store, they sell original equipment such as AC Delco and Motorcraft. I will check on it more. Mike

11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

From what you said in your opening statement, I'd go with OEM replacements. You've gotten 10 years service from them, you like the ride, and let's face it, it's a 4x4 pickup, not a Ferrari. Save your money for all the other repairs you're gonna have to make on that (ugh) bowtie!:p

Just funnin' ya!

Seriously, I wouldn't put fancy shocks on my truck, I don't think you'll see the difference.

12. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

OK new shocks are in, after sleeping on it, i agree with PELICAN. The originals lasted this long, i put another set of OEM AC Delco shocks in today, front and back. The ride is so improved its not even funny!! The ones that came out were SHOT with a capital "S". HAHA One front one was blown and none of them sprung back when u pushed them down against the ground, just stayed in. I appreciate everyones advice and the time you guys took to respond. Makes a new guy like me feel welcome.:) SLIMJIM i did check on those Bilsteins, they are available for my truck but cost me $102 each, little expensive for a 4x4 in my oppinion. I think they would be good maybe on a 2WD truck if you were lowering it and making it handle like a sports car, but just wanted to let you know i did check into it. PELICAN i take it your a FORD guy? LOL You know what Ford stands for, dont ya? Fix Or Repair Daily, HAHAHA Just kidding ya! Mike

Last edited: Aug 19, 2002
  13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'm a Ford truck guy, although I recently bought a used 3500 that has really impressed me. The wife drives an Impala too.

I just had to give the new guy a poke in the ribs!

14. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

HEHE, ill just poke you back harder :eek: ;) Just kiddin ya though, i like both makes, but am more of a Chevy guy. Mike