1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shocks for plow springs?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by South Seneca, Jan 23, 2014.

1. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I have a Curtis Snow Prow 3000. When the blade trips forward it slams back so hard things fly off the dash inside the cab.

So Ive been thinking about mounting a shock or two along side the plows trip springs to slow the blade down some before it hits the stops. Has anyone ever tried this? Do you think it would help or slow the blade down too much?

2. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Older western blades had 1 sometimes 2 shocks on them , helped some.

3. MattR

MattR Senior Member

One thing that helped me out with that same problem, is to not put things on the dash. Also when you know that blade will slam back, take things extra slow. Hit your brakes, then gently ease up on the brakes while watching the plow and when the tension starts to release. If you do it right, it wont slam back hard.

4. South Seneca

It hits so hard, I was concerned that it could trigger the air bags. I don't know if that's possible but it sure the heck makes me wake up and pay attention.

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Its not possible.

Slow down maybe? Learn your lots. Raise it for a second over your trip points

6. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Boss offers this as an option, don't know if other manufacturers do. I have it and it does seem to help some, but as my seat time increased so did my skills and I trip the blade much less often now.

7. South Seneca

Thanks for the help guys. Over time I trip the blade less and less. I'm glad it can't trip the air bags.
    Hopefully we get some snow to plow.

8. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Look on the Snowdogg forum. Some one posted a picture the other day with parts #'s.

9. South Seneca

Just what I was looking to do. Thanks Gene.