1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shocking prices

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Neige, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I would guess that the title would get every-ones attention. I was awarded 4 elementary schools and one school office building in my market area. These were all sites where I already had work across the street. It is a 3 year contract, seasonal, with salting included. There is very minimal hand shoveling work to do. We average 100 inches a year in 20 events. I will post my winning price bid in a couple of days just so everyone can come up with their own ideas on pricing without being influenced by mine. Next week I will post the other bids for comparison.

GoogleEarth_Image.jpg

GoogleEarth_Image (2).jpg

GoogleEarth_Image (3).jpg

GoogleEarth_Image (4).jpg

2. Neige

Neige Sponsor

By the way I am not asking anyone to post what they would bid, you can keep that to yourselves. I am hoping this will be an informative exercise.

3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Subscribing....
    This should be a good thread. I know here, like most areas, pricing has been cut-throat the last 3-4 years.

4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

I am also subscribing........I am not sure what the point is though if we aren't posting up what we thing are our pricing for the contract.

What exactly do you want us to debate/talk about in this thread?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  5. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Given Neige's tone, I suspect the shocking price will be in the high direction, not the low.

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

x2

I bet that the prices from the non-winning bidders are going to be unbelievably high.

7. Neige

Neige Sponsor

You got that right, my head is still spinning. Just to say the price I gave was in line, if not just above the median pricing in my market.

8. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

how about $55,000 per year plus taxes?

9. buckwheat_la

Well I am curious now. The big thing for me is the liability factor, doing schools has to be nerve racking. Kind of like doing a hospital. I also think though that some of these places are more about service and less about price. The local Walmart doesn't really care how well it gets done, where as a school absolutely should have a zero tollerance for BS from its contractor.

10. buckwheat_la

one loader/tractor (not too large) and a skidsteer with both a blade and a broom attachement. takes about 2-3 hours to do all of them providing they are all close together. The loader would start on all the parking lots, the skid would start on the sidewalks etc. I would probably use the broom on the walks more then the blade but the blade would push stuff back along the walks and help with clearing lots (because I think the skid would be done before the loader)

11. Landcare - Mont

We all know what 'should' happen with the institutions that guard our children, however, around here, they're still government funded and go for the lowest price tendered. Generally, you have to have $2 million liability and you really try to stay off the property when the kids are around. A lot of the places also try to keep the salt/abrasive to a minimum because the janitorial staff complains about having to clean up what gets tracked inside. 'Contractor's discretion' can be a scary thing.

12. Landcare - Mont

The schools we do are done with (usually) a Massey-Ferguson 6270 with a 8-13 Houle plough on the front and a Houle 8-13 blade on the back accompanied by a Case 621 front-end loader with a 4-cu.yd. bucket with an extender on it. Anything these don't fit into or onto is done by hand with snowblowers or shovels.

Sorry, can't find a picture of our Case but you can see the bucket extenders on the others.

DSCF2157.jpg

half the loaders.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  13. Cam.at.Heritage

Cam.at.Heritage Junior Member

I am also subscribing to see how the pricing turn out.

Definitely agree that around here it always seems to go to the lowest... and if the contractor doesn't work out they just seem to try the next lowest hoping it will be better..... I would figure a school /government would know better

14. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Schools are not difficult clients in my market. They are closed weekends, 2 weeks at Christmas and 1 week at March Break. As far as the janitorial staff, you have to leave them bags of ice melt and they will take care of the walkways. Almost all the walkways are accesable with a pick-up so salting is real easy. Oh and as Landcare mentioned no equipment on site during school hours.

I will let you know what equipment I use and how long each site takes a little later. Lastly all the sites are within 1 mile of each other.

15. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I'll do them all, $100 per storm...I got a truck with a plow, a snowblower and a shovel. By the way, I'm sure they would want proof of insurance, does anyone know how to get around that? $100 is good money.

16. Cam.at.Heritage

Cam.at.Heritage Junior Member

Ya....GET INSURANCE!!!!!

17. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

School - Seasonal Price.

Subscribing to see, the boards we work for are all per push / per salt / per pickled sand application (Don't ask me why they us it)

18. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Pickled? Like soaked in vinegar?

19. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

This should be interesting. I just placed a bid on 12 schools along with the transportation garage and office. Sizes ranged from 1 acre to 8 acres. I was told that all contractors were too high and that they were going to go back to trying to do it themselves..

20. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

I'm subscribed you got me hooked on this one lol.