1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shock upgrade

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jperry9636, Oct 9, 2009.

1. jperry9636

jperry9636 Member

Hey guys. I started looking a new shocks for my 05 2500HD. I like the Rancho RS9000XL with the Myride wireless controler. I like the idea of being able to change the shocks on the fly for towing, plowing , or just being on the highway. Anyways what has worked for you and put in what has not worked for you. The more feed back you guys give the easier it is for me. Thanks for your help.

Later,
    Jack

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Most guys like em in this order: Bilstein 5100, Edelbrocks, KYB.

3. jperry9636

jperry9636 Member

come on guys put .02 cents in I want to make a educated decision on some new shocks.

4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

How much do you want to spend ???? What kind of ride or performance do you want ??? Those ?? will help in feed back !!!

5. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

I couldn't be any happier with my KYB Monomax's. Just put them, they handle my diesel and the 9' fisher plow like a champ. Unloaded ride is still nice too, but my truck weights 9200lbs 'empty'

6. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I've got the bilstein 5100 series on mine and they have been great

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If I ever get through the pile of new parts I already need to install, I will be getting the Bilsteins

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The externally adjustable Rancho's are a good shock but they don't survive in the rust belt. The adjustment mechanism on the shock body isn't sealed well enough causing the internal plunger to rust and seize up, thus your "on the fly" adjustment ceases to function. They'll seldom go a whole winter before requiring removal, cleaning and re-lubricating.

A fine concept, but not on a plow truck. :nono:

9. Rubicon 327

Rubicon 327 Senior Member

Probably not the best ride shock but they help hold the plow weight.They are a Bilstein shock also and would probably work a lot better if I hooked them up to an in cab control system to adjust the ride when the plow is off.

Arnott air.jpg

10. lilweeds

Will they work w/o any lift in the truck?

11. jperry9636

jperry9636 Member

thanks for the info on the rancho's. I do not want to give up ride as I do drive the truck some distances and like that it does not ride like a tank. So with that in mind what shocks will give the best ride but still be good with the towing and plowing.

Later,
    Jack

12. Rubicon 327

Rubicon 327 Senior Member

Like rsvees also said,
    I would think the Bilstein 5100s are the way to go then for what you are looking to do.Most people I have read are happy with them.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Only problem is they place and extreme amount of stress on a shock mount for which it was not designed for. We've discussed this in the past if you look around a little.

Bilstien 5100's are worth their weight in gold on these trucks. Even today after using them many times it still amazes me how well a truck works after installing a set...especially over a set of stockers or stock replacements. I installed a set on an '09 with only 4000 mi just yesterday and was again impressed with the difference in ride quality. And guys think they ride good stock. :drinkup:

14. lilweeds

So for the 5100's on a truck at stock height, you order the ones for up to a 2" lift right?

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct. They actually cover 0"-2" with a single set of p/n's.

16. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

I just put on the 5100's on Friday. They made a huge difference! I am very happy. They price wasn't too bad either.

17. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

Yes, they are designed for 0-2" of lift