1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shock recommendation for personal ride

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Midwest, Jul 2, 2008.

1. I've got a 1999 cadillac escalade in need of some new shocks. The factor ones are bilstein. The current ride is a bit irratic when turning corners and hitting speedbumps. Nothing major, just a shock issue I'm pretty sure. Does anyone have any idea's on what a decent shock would be for replacement? thanks for your help:salute:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Bilsteins' are great shocks....but on a '99 they're probably just in need of replacement by now. Most shocks only have a life expectancy of 50-60,000 mi. and begin to degrade quickly after that point. Even the higher end ones.

Either run another set of Bilsteins' or go with a set of Edelbrock's IAS series.

Both very nice and work great on the GM stuff. :nod:

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I suppose that means that by my guess the stock shocks on my 98 maybe worn out after 160k?:D

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes Mark I'd say they probably are...but in your case you gotta do things in order of priority. :D

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, those are on the list somewhere around the area of changing blinker fluid and my muffler bearings.

Actually, for once the list isn't pages long:
    Trans, fix rust (major), shocks, trans cooler replacement (last one got a hole in it :angry:), and rebuild my front end.

6. B B, I appreciate your response. that's what I had thought and it's got close to 140k. It just doesn't feel right, but all the suspension hardware is in good shape. I'm going to try the shocks, which I'm pretty sure is the issue.

On a side note, I used your help on a intake gasket on Monday and Tuesday night. It was in another post that you had helped on. Needless to say, the Escalade is running 100% better than it has since I purchased it 6 months ago. I think the intake was leaking for a long time, all of the intake runners were clean as whistle, or steam cleaned.:drinkup:

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Happy to help Mid, and it's good to here that you found the info posted here resourseful...since that's what it's all about. :)

8. I have found a pretty good deal on some Nitro Skyjacker shocks on Ebay. 155.00 for all four and shipped for 9 bucks. Any one have anything good or bad to say about these?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Although they may be much more inexpensive than the Bilsteins or Edelbrocks Mid, they're definitely not the type of shocks you want to run on a softly sprung Escalade, unless you want to stiffen the ride quality up a great deal over stock.

Stick with the Bils or Edlels...you'll be glad you did.

10. that's why I asked, I'll save up for the Bil's, the Escalade deserve's it!payup

11. I have a couple more questions if you guys don't mind. will bad shocks cause the truck to vibrate at different speeds? Sort of like an out of balance tire, but doesnl't happen all the time? could it also effect the steering, pulling a bit from time to time?

thanks

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Worn shocks can give you a vibration feeling as the suspension oscillates over road irregulities...since the shocks are worn they can't dampen/soften those road irregularities correctly that are normally aways there, but of course they themselves wont actually "create" the vibration. Worn shocks won't cause a vehicle to pull though.

Sounds like in addition to the new shocks your Escalade could use a though check over of the driveline/steering/tires and suspension.