1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shock change on 83 chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cward05, Feb 2, 2005.

1. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask a quick question...I am looking to change the shocks on my 83 chevy k10 (the fluid is leaking out of them and they are very rusty). How would I go about doing this?...can I do it in my own driveway? Do I just remove the old bolts and shocks and screw the bolts back on or does it involve removing more parts? Oh, and I forgot to mention it has a 4" lift on it. Does this require special shocks? How much do they run typically and is there a specific brand that I should get? I am looking to spend the LEAST amount of money btw. Thanks.

2. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

Changing shocks in the driveway should be easy, especially with a 4" lift. You will need longer shocks, but I'm not sure how to determine exactly which ones.

You might try looking at this web site http://rough.roughcountry.com/ and find out which Hecklethorn shock would fit. They are usually a reasonable price and they have versions for various lift kits.

Bruce